Bulova Watch

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Just finished engraving this stainless Bulova watch. I realize that the design is not very complex and some might say not very interesting. But, with a limited budget on this project I felt that deep relief scroll or Celtic designs would be too time consuming. Let me know your thoughts on this one. Thanks. ~David

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nicely cut, David! My only suggestion would be to do a center device like a flower or crossed ribbon and have the leaves running in opposite directions. But it looks great and is very professionally done. :clapping:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We all are asked to do things we'd rather not do artistically anyway, just part of the business. However, no matter how simple the design, a body has to do their best on it just as if it were some intricate, detailed expensive job. Budgets are confining at times but you did a fine job with what you were allowed and the owner should be tickled to death to wear it. Nice and crisp job!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam and Tim!
Sam, I did indeed have that thought about using a ribbon. I even reviewed your ribbon article and sketched it a bit but it seemed like I could not get the double running leaf to blend into the ribbon quite right like you did with the border you used in that igraver lesson. I should have worked on it a little longer!

Timothy83

I am a watchmaker I can say from the point of view of a watchmaker watches are technical devices. You have done great uniform technical work and it matches the simple form of the watch. I think it looks great

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I am a watchmaker I can say from the point of view of a watchmaker watches are technical devices. You have done great uniform technical work and it matches the simple form of the watch. I think it looks great

Thanks Timothy! That is a really interesting point of view.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David, very nicely done. it came out really a handsome piece. A little trick on layout I thought I might share with you and others as well. Read my lesson in the "tips archive" about proportional dividers. Second, I try to cut this type design on a practice plate in several sizes and widths then use the wax/tape transfer method. File the plate away for the next time you want this border and you will save a lot of time, Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
to me, it's complimentary to the design of the watch. budget aside, it looks very nice !

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
David, very nicely done. it came out really a handsome piece. A little trick on layout I thought I might share with you and others as well. Read my lesson in the "tips archive" about proportional dividers. Second, I try to cut this type design on a practice plate in several sizes and widths then use the wax/tape transfer method. File the plate away for the next time you want this border and you will save a lot of time, Fred

Thank you Fred. Your article on proportional dividers is very interesting and comprehensive. Since I usually practice cut my borders before I start that is a good tip about keeping those for future use.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Sam beat me to it. That's exactly what caught my eye as I'm a symmetrical kind of guy. :)

Thanks Doc. I agree. As I mentioned to Sam I referred to his tutorial, http://www.igraver.com/crossed_ribbon and it looks great with the border he used. But, I could not seem to fit the border I used to the ribbon. I would be delighted and really appreciate it if you, Sam or anyone else would show me a sketch of how you might tie a border like the one I used together with a ribbon. BTW Doc, the magnetic leather pads I purchased from you are perfect! Best 10 bucks I ever spent. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Sponsors