Question: Question: Does anybody reckognize this Engraving?

joe1

I have recently come across a S&W model 60.
There is an abbreviation in two spots.
I think it is "M" or "ML" or "MEL" or "NEIL".
I know it is from 1974. I am looking for what to call the engraving and maybe who did it. I know the grips are scrimshawed and say Anderson on both.
Thanks
FullSizeRender_3 (5).jpg
I am not looking to sell this, just information please.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,

I concur with Tim. It is the work of Mel Wood. At the time of his death he lived in Elgin, Arizona. When I was a beginning engraver, living in Santa Maria, California in 1976, I met Mel there. I believe that he was an aerospace engineer at Vandenberg Air Force Base at the time. Mel had been engraving as a sideline for a few years. His scrollwork is distinctive and never changed over the course of his career. He often incorporated "MEL" into his scrollwork as a signature.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yep. Mel Wood. He did tons of knives back in the day. He also did some sort of amalgam silver or gold inlay. As Roger said, his style was very distinctive. Simple and effective.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger: do you know if he did the eagle on the grip panel ? it looks to be somewhat "light" when compared to the engraving. not near as bold.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
to answer your question, Joe- it appears everybody recognizes this engraving!

;)

joe1

I found another example of mel woods, he did a ruger Blackhawk that sold in a rock island auction.
I did not know he had passed away. I recently got a Jinks letter, stating it was sold in 1975 to a company in Houston Tx, that is now closed.
The grips say Anderson on them. One grip side is completely different from the other. One bobcat, one eagle. I think it is scrimshaw.
I appreciate all the input from this site. I would love to have a signed letter from woods, but that is not going to happen.
I think I am going to sell it.
Thanks

joe1

S&W model 60

I recently got a jinks letter. It shipped in 1975 to a Houston Tx company, that is now closed.
I did not know he passed, I have been trying to locate him.
I found a ruger Blackhawk that he engraved. It was part of a rock island auction.
The grips are scrimshawed by Anderson.
One side eagle, one side bob cat.
I appreciate all the info from this site.
I think I am going to try to price and sell it.
Thanks

Reddunnhorse

Mel Wood

I personally had Mel Wood engrave two rifles along with gold banding and gold overlays. At that time, around 1984 he lived just West of Sierra Vista, Az past Ft Huachuca. I went to his home and visited with him and his young granddaughter who he was teaching to engrave as well. As previously mentioned he worked "Mel" into the artwork. He has several items, both firearms and knives in various Gun Digests during the 1970-80's timeframe. I absolutely loved his artistic style!