Question: Do you accept personal check as payment?

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,
Do you guys accept personal check as a payment for your service?

I just had my first returned check & had pieces shipped back to customer already. Pretty scary feeling of working for free:shock:
Fortunately, I was able to contact the customer & he said he will re-send another check. crossed my fingers.

Denny

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes, but not until after the check clears my bank. If they're a well established store or someone I've done business with in the past (and trust) then I'll ship before the check clears.

I always make customers aware of this before doing work.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Denny,Get a deposit before starting the work and never send out work until the check clears your bank,I use to trust people but those days are over. J.J.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, the customer has a well known shop & I had done business in the past. Do you just call the bank within a few days after the deposit to clear the check?

I also have some issues with PayPal payment that some customers do not like to pay the 3% PayPal fees but can get around by sending the payment as a "gift" or to a"friend". I don't know how long I can get away with this until PayPal realizes it's a business service transactions. I'm not too familiar with PayPal at all.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I offer the Paypal choice, but unless we've discussed it earlier and I have allowed for it in my price quote - it's on the customer...

I take checks and money orders. I wait for them to clear before shipping - or handing the job over. I have had some "odd" money orders and cashiers checks - so far all have cleared.

I've also decided I can no longer absorb any shipping costs to customers. This ain't Amazon... However, if you're paying over 5 grand for the job I will consider making an exception.

Brian

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A little known banking fact: You can go in to the bank with a bounced check, redeposit it, and put a "Hold for Collection" on it.
They don't like to do this so you'll probably have to talk to the bank manager, not a cashier.
As the customer deposits funds, they are held for you until there is sufficient money to pay the bounced check. No other checks from that customer are paid until yours is.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I'll have to check into the "hold for collection" type of action. . .never heard of that, before. The very few companies I deal with, and some are new where I send for 'stuff', have never been problematic in sending a check to. I expect fully to wait until my check clears, but some have sent me goods without waiting for clearance. Maybe they just take a chance, but I've never disappointed anyone.

Andrew Biggs

The old saying that the job isn't completed till the cheque clears is as true now as its ever been. :)

I remember the "good old days" when you could pay for anything by cheque and walk out the door with it. Restaurants, petrol stations, supermarkets, etc etc............Down here in NZ we have a whole generation that doesn't know what a cheque is. I haven't written one for years. Everything is plastic and electronic. Which isn't a bd thing.

Cheers
Andrew

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I never refuse money in any form, I do not use COD. I send the work when it is finish and wait for a few days for the check, they trust me with their baby the least I can do and to trust my client with the money, I have not been disappointed.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got an envelope from my bank yesterday. A personal check I accepted was returned for NSF (Non Sufficient Funds) and I was charged a fee besides having the deposit to my account reversed. So, it cost me $19.00 to accept a bad check! This is only the second time in my life that I've been given a bad check. I do prefer cash, certified funds or PayPal.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I got an envelope from my bank yesterday. A personal check I accepted was returned for NSF (Non Sufficient Funds) and I was charged a fee besides having the deposit to my account reversed. So, it cost me $19.00 to accept a bad check! This is only the second time in my life that I've been given a bad check. I do prefer cash, certified funds or PayPal.

Sorry to hear that, I just finally got another check in the mail today & deposited it. Hopefully this one is legit & I need to check my bank acct. if I'm being charged for depositing a bad check.

I actually prefer PayPal because it's easier & faster. However, some customers do not like being charged extra 3%.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do take a check when all other forms of payment have been exhausted ie: credit cards or cash. But I will make a judgement call like if I am at a show and the perspectives client is carrying an adult beverage in one or both hands and leaning over my stuff. If they make me uncomfortable looking, they usually make me uncomfortable buying. But I will take their cash.

Sponsors