first practice plate not finished

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,
i got my new old Graver Mate a view days ago and after a bit adjusting it works now very well :)
I drawed a design for a practice plate its big yes but i have mutch to learn *g*
So I did a view misstakes in cutting my backbones are not thick enough so sometimes they are cutted off
But one Thing I have no Idea is shading you see i started but that looks terribile
are there any rules ? or only practice ?

I have to find a nice color for blackening too here. I don´t want to buy the color in the us the color i used is not working nice for smal spots it will work but at the bigger scrolls it dont holds the paint.

Ok I hope you like it a little bit It´s my first practice plate with power so don/t cut my head off
thx
chris

Attachments

• Pladde.jpg
    Pladde.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 361

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

No bad for a first practice plate.

You are self critiqueing and that is the important part. Don't worry about the shading as the more you cut and draw the more you will understand it.

And yes, there is only practice, careful observation and more practice...............there's a lot to learn :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
drawing is very pleasing. cutting is good, as well. thanks for showing.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
thanks a lot.
I´m not realy happy with it but I will cut it to finish and show here another photo maybe it looks a bit better then.
It´s nice to learn with you all as background . I only was drawing the hast half past year but some things like the thiker backbones you can´t learn only by pencil :)
What do you think about the negative space ? After cutting and stippling the background I was thinking there is too mutch negative space and the leaves must be bigger for a nice look. In the drawing it looked nice. I did the drawing on a A4 Paper and resized it to 10cm. Do you redraw it at the PC so you got an Vector Image for thinner lines ?
Chris

monk

Staff member
i'm one who finds favor with a reasonable amount of negative space. my eye, not my brain, tells me maybe not too much. i guess it boils down to ones' philosophy of design. some of the old, well established engravers got by (nicely, i might add) with a lot more negative space than you show here. then, too, the design concept chosen from the start will kind of determine this.
my approach to transfer, assuming not directly drawn on the part-- i would draw on paper. oversized to a considerable degree. i'd then scan, resize as needed, and do a transfer of the main lines only.i usually did the detailing on the fly, as some say. with the main scroll lines, transferred, i could refer to the original scanned drawing. it became natural for me to work this way. for me, to do a highly detailed drawing just didn't sit well with me.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you,
Now i´ve finished the other side. where i did the first backbone cuttings. Next Plate will be better :)
But I think now it looks not too bad. So I made a better Photo with more Light.
Next Step is shading :)
When shading is ready i will post another Photo
Thx a lot all
next step.jpg

monk

Staff member
i like the use of the diagonal panel insert. piece is looking a bit better.

Sponsors