Spam, Scam or Legit??

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Very common scam, and they are quite successful with it.

All the more reason to have separate passwords for every site, so if one gets hacked they can't get into your others.

For years I've used Keepass to store and organize all my passwords. Great little free well encrypted open source app, runs on all platforms, so you can keep the data file on your desktop, tablet, phone, laptop.... http://keepass.info/

You can also store any other info in it- credit card info, passports, etc. I recommend it very highly.
The data file is very compact, so it's real easy to keep backups on thumb drives, even store it on your phone memory card.
gargoyle: this sounds so cool. but-- what's to prevent a hacker from weaseling their way into that very data ? if it's safe, i may give it a try. tyvm

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Oh how wonderful ..... and thank-you Andrew for attaching names to photos, fraudulently appropriated for the purpose of unlawful solicitation, that would otherwise be anonymous. Funding terror? I spose I can expect a visit from the Feds now? I better make a pot of fresh coffee. lol
coffee ?? i think that's a bit weak ! vodka would be better suited to appease the beast !

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
gargoyle: this sounds so cool. but-- what's to prevent a hacker from weaseling their way into that very data ? if it's safe, i may give it a try. tyvm
You have one master password to open the file. You need to make that very secure. Best to include special characters like !"#$%&'(
You can even use a sentence with spaces in it for your password. Just use something that can't be guessed and you'll be safe.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, perhaps in the future you should consider putting your name & website (copyright too?) in an impossible to erase "watermark" on each and every image before it ever leaves your computer?

The image may have been passed around so many times by now that the prospective "client" had no way of locating the original source... if he wanted to.

I have thought about it, but I hate watermarks with passion :). They're either too visible and distracting, or no use at all, if they're too invisible. And if they are not located on the important bits of the image, they're easily removable... On that specific Apple Watch case the photos weren't actually even mine, they came from the company's website for whom I did the work (I think, I haven't seen the emails myself)

You have one master password to open the file. You need to make that very secure. Best to include special characters like !"#$%&'(
You can even use a sentence with spaces in it for your password. Just use something that can't be guessed and you'll be safe.

Or you can go full monty with KeePass and in addition to master password have also secret keyfile on an (encrypted, password protected) USB drive and use time based passwords (only generated by your own smartphone). It all comes down to security vs convenience. Find your own pain threshold :). But I think having a good master password and then separate password for every site gets you ahead of 99.9% of people.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I have thought about it, but I hate watermarks with passion :).
I do too, but my photos were showing up on so many other sites (mainly from China, but I found them on sites from the US, Turkey, and Russia among others) that I ended up putting big ugly watermarks across everything. It did cut out almost all the copying.

Or you can go full monty with KeePass and in addition to master password have also secret keyfile on an (encrypted, password protected) USB drive and use time based passwords (only generated by your own smartphone). It all comes down to security vs convenience. Find your own pain threshold :). But I think having a good master password and then separate password for every site gets you ahead of 99.9% of people.
Listen to vilts on this sort of thing- he really knows what he's talking about.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I, too, received the email and promptly ignored it as I haven't done a watch yet, not even my own. I did consider replying with an obscene figure to see the response. Haven't quite figured out how he got my name.

Bill

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
It's not hard to get your name,etc.... someone just needed to be a member here.Then look at your profile and check the FEGA listing by state,took me less than 2 minutes.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I guess we're ALL out "there" more than we like to admit. I keep hoping I don't post too much information for those (I won't say otherwise!) who wish to play unfairly.

Bill

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, I received it too. Crazy world we live in. I usually stay away from those types of e-mails anyway. Early on I learned if they are asking for my "price" etc. they are asking many others and I don't intend to arm wrestle for any business based solely on the lowest price.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Just a heads up for everyone.

There are a series of e-mails going around wanting an Apple Watch engraved. Included are photos of a stainless Apple watch, an engraved Apple watch by Vilts, our fellow forum member and a knife engraved by what seems to be Chris Malouf's work. They are asking for a price with gold inlay similar to the knife…………….the emails are supposedly from someone in Saudi Arabia that works in the Golden mobile and luxuries field.

I have received two e-mails and I know at least one other forum member that has been contacted.

Is it spam or some kind of scam? Or is it legitimate?……………….that’s for you to decide but I thought you should know. :)

Cheers
Andrew

I think that every request need to be treated as legitimate. As custom engravers it is our goal to please the taste of our clients. I often ask potential client to send me pictures of what they like not to copy the picture but to have a better idea about what they are expecting, about what they enjoy "A small picture is worth a thousand words".

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got the same email. I treated it as legitimate as I do all initial requests. It usually doesn't take long to decide if someone is serious or just a a tire kicker or a flat out scammer. I made some calls and did a little investigation, found out it's a feasible project. I have the distinct feeling that someone is fishing to get their watch engraved for next to nothing with the promise of more business. Either that or a flat out scam. The broken English makes it a little tougher to discern. Worse case here is I wasted a little time to learn the watch is indeed able to be cut.
On the subject, I saw an article a few years back concerning the scam emails from Nigeria. You know the ones. " I am princess from small African country. My father marry me off to ugly man and I would like for my help to you escape for me to US with my 10 million dollars" Apparently the emails are purposely written this way in order to weed out the intelligent and find the truly gullible targets. No use wasting time on someone with an IQ over 75.
Layne

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ya know what? I'm feeling diminished and starting to get a little pi$$ed off! I never got one of these e-mail requests. I could screw-up an Apple watch just as well as some on this site. How come they skipped over me? I feel so down, I may just have to find solace in some single malt.

Latest posts

Sponsors