Spam, Scam or Legit??

Andrew Biggs

Just a heads up for everyone.

There are a series of e-mails going around wanting an Apple Watch engraved. Included are photos of a stainless Apple watch, an engraved Apple watch by Vilts, our fellow forum member and a knife engraved by what seems to be Chris Malouf's work. They are asking for a price with gold inlay similar to the knife…………….the emails are supposedly from someone in Saudi Arabia that works in the Golden mobile and luxuries field.

I have received two e-mails and I know at least one other forum member that has been contacted.

Is it spam or some kind of scam? Or is it legitimate?……………….that’s for you to decide but I thought you should know. :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
these days there's so dang much evil being spread around ! i'm to the point i trust only my mother. i engraved the bronze urn in which her cremains are resting ! if a scam, i hope nobody falls prey to it.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I received the same email about the Apple watch engraving.
What bothers me is, did they ask and receive permission from the engravers to use the photos---- in their business-email advertisement? I did not see--Photos used by permission of said author.
If not, would they not use the design of a watch engraved by me, to be used by someone else for a lesser price? Since the time-cost of the design is replaced a photo of my work.
As I understand the copy right laws here, a photo is copyrighted automatically, the (c) symbol is not necessary.
It is too easy to download photos, reproduce them, totally disregarding the authors rights.

Other than that-
May your eyes never get blurry
And your graver tips never break

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I would guess that if it is legit, then it's a case of 'copy, paste and send to many'. Then they foolishly choose the cheaper option. :)

Personally, I think as Mike says, it's probably someone just fishing for prices, and is using a Saudi background to make it sound full of earning potential.

I even received a couple of emails recently from other engravers, including images of 'my' work, stating they had a client who wanted that design on their watch and asked me how much they should charge! lol

Thanks for the heads-up Andrew! ;)

Last edited:

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I also received this email message, probably the same text as everyone else received. My email message also suggested that he would like to start a business relationship with me - the english was somewhat broken so I am not sure of this.
My main concern was that, with the current terrorism situation in the world, I did not want to be receiving somewhat large sums of money from a person in this country, nor did I want to be sending and receiving packages from the same.

Les

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Very recently, my Facebook 'chat' thing was hacked into, with someone imitating a 'friend' who claims to have been robbed at gunpoint, roughed up, and relieved of his cellphone, cash, and credit cards. This person wanted me to send him money, or borrow some to send. The friend exists, but several of us who've been approached think it's a hacker. Also, on of my legitimate chat friends had their account sabotaged. Thus, the hackers are diligently at work, plying their trade. With the eMail system I have, I can trace the IP address and the locale, unless it was masked. So, be on guard, for the scumbags are out and about

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Oh how wonderful ..... and thank-you Andrew for attaching names to photos, fraudulently appropriated for the purpose of unlawful solicitation, that would otherwise be anonymous. Funding terror? I spose I can expect a visit from the Feds now? I better make a pot of fresh coffee. lol

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Also got that email... didn't answer. Won't unless someone is referred to me. (I can check back to make sure)

I have no problem with people copying. Never will. I don't post images of my work, my shop or myself. Don't get my work that way - never have.

Brian

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Very recently, my Facebook 'chat' thing was hacked into, with someone imitating a 'friend' who claims to have been robbed at gunpoint, roughed up,
Very common scam, and they are quite successful with it.

All the more reason to have separate passwords for every site, so if one gets hacked they can't get into your others.

For years I've used Keepass to store and organize all my passwords. Great little free well encrypted open source app, runs on all platforms, so you can keep the data file on your desktop, tablet, phone, laptop.... http://keepass.info/

You can also store any other info in it- credit card info, passports, etc. I recommend it very highly.
The data file is very compact, so it's real easy to keep backups on thumb drives, even store it on your phone memory card.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I recently received a plea for money from a 'friend' on 'chat', in Facebook which is supposed to be secure. The story was that he got robbed at gunpoint, roughed up, and had all cards, money, and cellphones stolen. The 'friend' is legit, but the hack into his account wasn't. I also don't think he was over in the Philippines, either. There used to be a program, called Black Ice Defender, that traced all the routing steps, with locale and name of the hacker, but the software was rife with problems and all remaining copies were bought out by an American company. A program like this, if working, would be more than handy. Today, I can trace back to the locale of the hacker, provided they aren't 'masked'. I also think that a friend of mine had their account sabotaged, and I can't contact her. A lot of idle minds out there with nothing better to do than to scam and steal from the unsuspecting public. Be aware!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Over the past year Google has notified me saying that my G account had been used in places such as Russia etc.
Now if you use your pin code to buy gas some jokers can record it for future use.
Makes you want to go back to cash and checks!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Included are photos of a stainless Apple watch, an engraved Apple watch by Vilts, our fellow forum member and a knife engraved by what seems to be Chris Malouf's work

Hee-hee, I must be getting good if my work is being (wanted to be?) copied. :)

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just attached pics of my work including an apple watch to a reply with prices and sent it back , i learned a long time ago to take every inquiry very seriously if it is in my genre.
I view it as simply good marketing and customer service.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I've shipped work to 10 or 15 countries. I always make sure I'm paid in full prior to shipping, and on any commissioned work I get 50% up front. In your case, if they don't supply you with the apple watch, then 50% plus cost of the watch.

Andrew Biggs

The customer should always supply the watch.

You have to remember that we are engravers, not watch sellers.

If you supply the watch, regardless of the brand, then you are responsible for all workmanship and warranties. In other words, if the watch doesn't work properly, the electrics crap out, the rotor sticks, the strap breaks or anything else...........you are the person that the customer goes to to get it sorted out. You are responsible.

If the customer supplies the watch then they have a vested money interest in the whole process. If the watch is to be taken apart then have them do it or make damn sure you have a highly reputable watchmaker that can do it for you.

They are a fashion jewellery item so the market is quite different. Brand, warranties and price play a big part in the whole deal.

Cheers
Andrew

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Vilts, perhaps in the future you should consider putting your name & website (copyright too?) in an impossible to erase "watermark" on each and every image before it ever leaves your computer?

The image may have been passed around so many times by now that the prospective "client" had no way of locating the original source... if he wanted to.

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors