Help, please: My first engraving system

Mrfinks

Hi all

I'm currently saving for an engraving system.
I have a reasonable war chest saved so far but my Girlfriend, birthdays and just general life expenses are making it difficult to save for the perfect system.

I have enough to purchase a gravermeister and hp or a graver max and hp but not the air compressor. :(

My question is what are peoples thoughts on the gravermeister?
And also are there cheaper alternatives for air compressors that will do the job until I have saved for a silentair one?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
You don't need a compresser with a Gravermeister, I know they seem "old hat " to some but I find it works well for me,
very adjustable with plenty of power.

scott99

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My advice is save your money and buy a Gravermax. The Gravermeister (invented late 1960s) is hot, oily smelling, noisy, and the handpieces can get very warm. Just my advice. They do work but the Gravermax is a MUCH better option IMHO.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
gravermeister-- invented by john rohner, an engraver. developed by john for engravers. i bought one back in the dark ages. it will do anything you have the skills for. has its own, on-board ,rotary vane air supply. these machines are built to last and then some. there are fancier systems, but the meister will serve all your needs. regardless of choice, don't fall prey to the lure of those 4 hundred dollar "knockoffs". they seldom outlast the 90-day warranty ! then what ? it's a long drive to get yer money back, assuming that you do.
the meister is a very low maintenance machine. depending on hours of use, one need only drain oil now & then. also adding maybe a shot glass of oil every so often. the procedure might take a slowpoke all of 2 minutes to do this. the hand piece will also accept old style gravers, and all the newer ones, as well. look in the buy & sell section. now and then one will be up for sale. they are also on the "bay", but the total cost-- one might as well buy new. new units are covered by a warranty.

Betley Park

Stay the course Mrfinks. My suggestion to you would be to purchase exactly what you want, one thing at a time, as you can afford it. It WILL take longer than you like, but in the end, you will have a set up that you will be most happy with.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I have an enset system. Works well for me. I also just got a Chicago hush compressor from Sydney tools. Quite as and very modestly priced. https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-hush20-aluminium-silenced-20l-air-compressor :graver:

James I hope you have better luck with yours than I had with mine, stopped working about a month after I got it, and they are not very helpful when it comes to returns and warranty, I have a 1hp one now and is a bit better, it also runs the air turbine hand piece with no problem, the small one didn't, but I am saving my money to buy a better one as this one already has problems with it after a year or so, mtc worth,

And also are there cheaper alternatives for air compressors that will do the job until I have saved for a silentair one?