new to engraving

bigswig702

Hello everyone im new to the engraving world....
And looking for a jump start of info that I should read about in this forum that would give me a better undrstanding for engraving and its techniques. Thanks in advance

And for those that are wondering I have purchased the GRS system 3 entry level starter kit and a Magnum hand piece.....

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
WELCOME!
short answer.... EVERYTHING
but start with the tips and tutorials sections.
doesn't hurt to start building your own reference library as well. sam and several others on here have excellent videos and books to help and study.

also.... get REAL friendly with pencil and paper.

im sure others will have more to suggest and offer.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bigswig,Your not going to do any great engraving with that System 3,I had two students who came with the System 3's and we had nothing but problems,I told them get anything but and get a Gravermax,Graversnith,Lindsay. J.J.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

Gerry,I had two students come with the System 3 and could'nt do a thing with them and we work on steel,brass and copper.I welcome students with any engraving tools GRS,Lindsay or Ngraver but no System 3 J.J.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
What is the problem with them? I'm sure that the folks at GRS would like to know, I don't believe they want to be selling a design that has a reputation for not working, for any reason. Perhaps you should give them a call and relay your concerns.

I know you have no affiliation with them, but 20-30 minutes of your time could save others the $$$ of money and hours of frustration.

JJ Roberts

diandill,I did call GRS and talked with the head tec J.B.Taylor and we tryed to working out the kinks but still had problems. Students can bring any engraving tools to my class but will not wast any more of my time or a students time again. J.J.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
welcome big swig702. while the above members with deckades of experence and a little deeper pockets than some of use may have. but hey we all have to start some were. don't be put out or down keep working and when you can upgrade then make the step. it is really hard to lay out the big bucks even when you think you will do it forever. IE I have 3 six strings that i still can't play a cord. tghought i was going to do that forever to. haha

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum bigswig. I'm a bit confused as to why you would purchase a System 3 and a Magnum handpiece. This System 3 is the handpiece and no other handpieces can be attached to it.

The System 3 in the hands of a good engraver can produce decent work. I always advise people to save up a little longer and put that money toward a Graversmith or Gravermax system. I'm with JJ on this and don't think it's the best system for a beginner.

bigswig702

Thank you for all the info..... I purchased the extra hand piece.... a mistake to buy that? Not sure about anything..... just tired of giving my engraver money so I thought id give it a shot..... I etch glass already and I thought by buying a engraver I could save me some money on engraved car parts.....

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you for all the info..... I purchased the extra hand piece.... a mistake to buy that? Not sure about anything..... just tired of giving my engraver money so I thought id give it a shot..... I etch glass already and I thought by buying a engraver I could save me some money on engraved car parts.....

The Magnum handpiece requires a Graversmith, Gravermax, or Gravermach machine. The System 3 is self-oscillating and works by itself. So the Magnum won't do you any good without a machine to attach it to.

monk

Staff member
jumping in the pool without first checking for water ! ? i suppose over time , many here made mistakes early on. if you get a large looseleaf, take notes. sections could include sharpening, graver geometries, tools, drawing concepts, work holding, optics and a host of others. there's tons of info here awaiting to be absorbed. learning half of what's here is a task to be sure. but learn you MUST ! videos, and books aren't to be ignored. videos, to me, are valued for showing how the "biggies" do things-- these are techniques of holding and such. books don't convey technique as much ass a vid, but are excellent for repeated reference to information. they complement one another in my opinion.
good luck in a fantastic journey !

Latest posts

Sponsors