Restoration Project

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
This Model 21 Winchester was my great Grandfather's he purchased in the 1930's. at some point he had it reblued and they buffed alot of the engraving very thin. I finally got around to recutting it for a full resto. I studied Ulrich's work for many years and it is very cool to be retracing his cuts. This is by no means is the greatest engraving, but was at the time very well respected. These quick Photos show it after I recut it. I tryed to stay true to his lines. Just thought it would be neat to show as I don't see many restoration projects posted here on the cafe. ZZ

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a great looking job. you were lucky to have had all the lines. i did such a restoration on a lepage shotgun. quite a bit of the original work was worn away. i drew and drew till i was tired of holding a pencil. after several versions, i settled on one. what i did at first,i made a smoke print .from that i just drew to fill in the blank space till it looked "right". working with a greatly enlarged projection, i was able to closely (as possible) continue with the "look" of the original engraving. when finished, i was quite nervous about the result. the owner, however, was more than happy.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job. Restoring properly and recutting is a lot harder to do than most people think. Your Grandfather would be proud.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Fancygun. This is a restoration made to emulate what was originally done. I think you did that masterly. Restoration is a very difficult chore.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Double Gun Journal offers great pictures of this old favorites, Some beautifully restored and many originals. A great place to look at was supposed be in a worn or buffed out spot. They are an expensive monthly but they also have yearly indexes which will save you a lot of purchasing . you can usually get copies of older issues if needed-Fred

Betley Park

I think that takes quite an amount of skill to faithfully recreate the existing sample of work and blend it,so that it is very difficult to tell where the old becomes new. Brilliant job!

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Fred, they are a great resource. I stopped getting them a few years back when I ran out of room to store them.

Latest posts

Sponsors