Engraving ball clamps

Leobennet

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an engraving block, though living in the uk it seems hard to find one that isn't an expensive grs one, I don't mind paying a little postage internationally,
Wondered which types are good to look at,
Thanks a bunch if anyone has any thoughts :)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Leo,If you are going to engrave with H&C you can get away with a small compact bench vise mounted to a pedestal. J.J.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth...mport-ball-vise-to-get-started&highlight=vise
http://www.bsaxton.com/stuff/ballvise.pdf

There are several different styles you can make yourself. Sam posted one using a large mixing bowl, weighted at the bottom with lead tire weights, filled with olaster of paris and a final layer with bolts, allowing a small machinists vice to be mounted, all spinning on a sealed truck wheel bearing.

You should be able to make a heavy, multi duty vise for under $100 US with materials available in the UK. They aren't as pretty as a machined vise, but are very usable.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying an engraving block, though living in the uk it seems hard to find one that isn't an expensive grs one, I don't mind paying a little postage internationally,
Wondered which types are good to look at,
Thanks a bunch if anyone has any thoughts :)

Unfortunately, postage on an engraving vise will probably be very high due to their weight. There are many engravers in the UK and I'd think you can find a used one if you really search. Maybe try the Hand Engravers Society of Great Britain. I think I have the name right.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
look in the tips section. there's quite a few ways to skin this cat. amongst them, a common bowling ball. cut in half. ugly as hell, but they do work. if using a scope, cutting the ball to the correct height, along with whatever you put on top-- you can achieve a sort of parfocal effect:: the orientation of the ball will remain in good focus, assuming the part is flat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors