Quickbookd Online?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone use QuickBooks Online Self Employed or Small Business? Im trying to decide which one fits my situation better. Would love to know if anyone has any experience with them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
never used that one. for years i used a dos-based program called "simple business invoice". very easy to use. completely customizable. it had a (for me) perfect relational data base. bad news. when my laser got here, it ran on a win 2000 platform. the program wouldn't work. i paid a geek to make it work. took him 2 hours. finally had to go back the old way of doing things. the programs that are compatible with all my computers just don't cut it with me. i don't find favor with any software program that forces me to "work their way", rather than my way.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
FEGA has been using Quick Books Online for about 2 1/2 years to keep ledgers for checking, PayPal, savings and cash when used at the annual show. We have back entered previous years as well for reporting.
Developing the chart of accounts was fairly easy since we back entered previous years and created the accounts as the we're needed.sent
So far, Betty and myself like it.
Preparing reports for meetings, comparisons and tax preparation is easy and fast.
Costs is less than $30 monthly.
If I were to start a small business again I would use it.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used QuickBooks stand alone when I had my store, however I didn't use its full capacity as an accounting program. Since I had 1000's of items in inventory, tracking those was essential for me, as was the ability to create invoices. One time use items could be entered for invoicing. From this, I was able to compute my monthly sales tax to pay the state. The ability to generate certain reports was still invaluable for me. I still employed an accountant and sent him all my receipts, copies of my invoices, and my bank statements so he could maintain a full set of books for tax purposes, even though I had 2 years of accounting in college.

My problem was migrating the information to a new computer or a crash with an existing computer. If I didn't have a backup from the same day the crash occurred it was a fair amount of work to recreate sales from a previous backup. The online version might alleviate some of these problems.

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
I would only use the online (cloud) version. Access from any PC. Migration is not needed. It does not like explorer but prefers Google chrome and works well. Over all it is a very intuitive product. Our CPA can access it as well.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard - I use QB Pro for my LLC. If you intend to use the QB online pay and receiving and they find out you are dealing in firearms that will stop your on-line invoicing and receiving of funds directly their system. I still do my invoicing but they will not handle on-line funds between you and your customers if it involves firearms and they find out about it. If my business name had been something other than Gunmaker I probably would not have had a problem with their transfer of payments system.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I would guess that that kind of "discrimination" would open them to a class action lawsuit? If you are licensed and it is a legal business in the eyes of the government regulators - there should be NO tolerance for this "policy".

The marijuana business still has the Federal laws on the books - even though they are now ignored - and until they are completely repealed there is a shady grey area for banks to hide behind...

I would guess QBooks also discriminates against those businesses as well?

Personally, I'd seriously think about boycotting businesses that do this kind of thing and - encourage friends to do so as well. AND let QB know why! For whatever little that may be worth...

Be interesting to see them go up against FEGA? Which definitely has "firearms" in the business name... kinda hard to miss that?

Brian

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
If you have an accountant doing your tax returns I would recommend checking with them to see what they prefer. I retired as an accountant, I also have used QB, it was simple to use, but not all accountants like it.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Brian and others. I fully agree with your point of view and support the sentiment. I have used QB for more than a decade now and all past records before "on-line" anything was available so at this point I feel a bit stuck with it as I just do not have the energy to learn a new program. I was "told" it was something about the Federal Law concerning firearms as who was legal to own them in interstate commerce and receiving funds that involve transfers by a third party to the affair. The person with whom I spoke said that the "Legal Team" advised against it. PayPal does the same thing when they know that it is a firearm being paid for etc. I've used PayPal for these transactions but there was no way PayPal knew what was being paid for. It would be interesting to see what would happen if an entity with numbers clout could stir up.

"Dogcatcher" thanks. Serendipity would have it in that we are in the process of getting a new accountant. Our old one is retiring. So we maybe just in that process like it or not.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I use both a POS system and QB for our gun shop. Since we track serialized inventory it was necessary. You do need some accounting knowledge to use it correctly and setup your chart of accounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

qb online is the only way to go. have used it for for a few years now. started with the non online version and its nothing but headaches. online is 100% the only way to go .if you don't do your own accounting have your accountant set it up their way and show you how they want you to enter things. if you do your own accounting you should still get a qualified accountant to look at what you do and create a system for you that will work, then just follow that system and have them check progress periodically. lots of help on the net and qb forums. good stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsors