Magnetic leather pads for engraving vise jaws

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
These may work and probably are suitable for jewellery or silver engravers. But: For all engravers that work mostly on steel, or/and uses tool steel or HSS gravers any magnetism in the workshop is rather annoying! The day will come when your tools are affected. From then on chips tend to stick to the underside of gravers and there is the constant danger of slipping at the begin of cuts. Dakota Doc Martin may not like my post because my opinion is different: I recommend to strictly avoid any magnetism on the engravers bench! (The magnetic stripes on the stand of the sharpening holder are enough...)

Martin

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Just ordered me a set! So totally been needing something like this!!! Just been too busy (lazy) to get some leather and make them...

Donny

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These may work and probably are suitable for jewellery or silver engravers. But: For all engravers that work mostly on steel, or/and uses tool steel or HSS gravers any magnetism in the workshop is rather annoying! The day will come when your tools are affected. From then on chips tend to stick to the underside of gravers and there is the constant danger of slipping at the begin of cuts. Dakota Doc Martin may not like my post because my opinion is different: I recommend to strictly avoid any magnetism on the engravers bench! (The magnetic stripes on the stand of the sharpening holder are enough...)

Martin

I think the magnetic strips are of such a low gauss that they won't affect anything to any great degree. Just the action of hammering or tapping on any ferrous metal while aligned with the poles of the earth will induce magnetism into the metal. We made weak magnets that way in grade school science class. Take an iron rod, align it north and south with a compass, whack one end with a hammer and voila!... it's magnetic.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the tip Sam. I have some coming. Also you gave me the idea of getting some magnetic aluminum jaws for my gun making vise. I'm tired of picking mine up off the floor.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Working on guns I like lead for the jaws of my vise gives a good grip on a receiver or any other gun parts while engraving with out any movement. J.J.

monk

Staff member

Martin

martin: maybe i'm a bit crazy, but i've been using magnetic pads for years. you're correct, though.
on my scope cart, i keep a wad of plasticine. when that does't work well, i have a demagnetizer always plugged in. all i have to do is thrust the graver into the hole, and remove rapidly. to me, a small price to pay when chips begin to stick on the graver. different strokes, for different folks as some say.

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Dakota Doc Martin, You are right and I knew what you are writing about. I am sure your pads work fine and hopefully they do not show nasty effects. I often have had considerable magnetism especially in fresh HSS graver blades. My guess ist that it comes from production, - possibly the gravers were held on magnetic tables during grinding. I found it difficult or even impossible to demagnitize them fully, even when using professional gear. http://greinervibrograf.com/?pageID=36&lng=en
Thus I try to be safe by and ban all magnetic stuff.
Martin

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Thank you for the great idea, I will make a couple sets.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
I m with Martin on this one...
as thought in Liège School : Avoid water and magnets from your work table....if you work on guns, one day you ll find out why ;-)

BUT a strong magnet at another specific place is unbearable to pull metal Chips out of your eyes in case of emergency:thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
I m with Martin on this one...
as thought in Liège School : Avoid water and magnets from your work table....if you work on guns, one day you ll find out why ;-)

BUT a strong magnet at another specific place is unbearable to pull metal Chips out of your eyes in case of emergency:thumbsup:

for martin & frank p--- doc was correct. my gravers would acquire magnetism when i had no magnets anywhere in my work area. when a graver aligns north/south (in line with the magnetic poles of earth), a graver will become magnetic. this sounds crazy , but it can happen. it so happens, the arrangement in my situation-- the prevailing direction i'm cutting lies roughly north/south. i wonder if the air assist tools (compared to h&c) would have differing effects on this phenomenon. maybe one of you astrophysicists could chime in on this.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Frank, what's the deal with the magnet pulling chips out of your eyes.
While working as an offshore rig Witch Dr., I would illuminate the chips and using a needle pick the embedded steel out of the roughneck's eyes :shock:.
These chips came primarily came about from grinders and high winds.
Using a magnet, I would be afraid of additional tearing, if the chip was not embedded straight in,causing it to rip out.

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
No deal at all...
I am sure I am not the only one who ever got a chip in the eye, that have popped out the working Piece ????????????
Happened at least once a year.. And protection glasses just always happen to lay around ;-)
of course I am talking about old school standing Hammer and Chisel method...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mine arrived today and I really like them! The benefits of and convenience of these leather jaw pads far outweigh the risks of their very weak magnetic strips magnetizing my gravers. I have a magnetic set that Rio Grande carried years ago and they've never caused problems and I don't expect these will either.

Latest posts

Sponsors