Curious... about the final steps everyone else sharpens in?

Andrew Biggs

I’m a big fan of the 1.8mm round C-Max carbide and square Glensteel gravers. They seem to cover everything I cut.

I never polish the Glensteel. Just finish face and heel with 1200 grit. Generally face first and then heels for most graver sharpening.

C-Max is a mixed bag. On some watches a polished heel works better and on others a 600 or 1200 grit finish works better..............goodness knows why but it does. One thing I have learnt is that not all 316L cuts the same. There are big differences between manufacturers, cast and machined steel.

Naturally on jewellery I polish heels to give the sparkle that you need. I find the ceramic enough for that.

Another thing I have noticed is that by polishing the face after the heel gives a nicer edge to the graver which in turn gives a nicer edge to the cut.........having said that, that is under a microscope at full power. To the naked eye it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference but it is useful from time to time and makes me feel better :)

I use two types of heel. The parallel and traditional…..depending on what I’m cutting and the effect I’m wanting to achieve.

For ongletts I use the yellow wheel………..and yes, Alexander is the Yellow Wheel Master.

I met a Japanese engraver is Switzerland. His watch work was absolutely stunning…….his gravers were like nothing I’ve ever seen. And they were slightly rounded on the heels, all done by hand and his cuts were crystal clear.

Cheers
Andrew

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to know, thanks to all who put info about a great experience.

Latest posts

Sponsors