Hand Engraved Watch

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Here is another stainless steel watch I just finished for a customer. I thought the scrollwork around the dial might be too small to see well with the naked eye and so I decided not to shade the scroll heads so they might stand out more against the black background. Turns out that was a mistake and next time I will do more shading no matter how small! Always a learning process! ~David

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
with or without, it's a pretty neat job. was this direct drawn ? i always assumed such would be. i would think a transfer would be a pita !

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Brian and Monk, yes the design transfer is a VERY challenging aspect of watch engraving especially when the case around the dial is tilted and when the lugs are offset like this one. For this one I used a combination of transparency transfer for the main scroll backbones and then hand draw some of the details and freehand others. Brian, I did take this watch apart except I did not remove the glass. It was scratched up anyway so there was not much risk since the owner said he may get it replaced after the engraving was done. Thanks for looking.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Betley. Truth is my hands are not all that steady but I have slowly learned to compensate for that :)

i know thy pain ! implanted, dual electrodes eliminated head and hand shake. now i have a worse problem-- a jumping eye. surgery not an option. prism lenses offered no help. it's to the point now, i don't even try fine shading anymore. the greatest evil for me-- there's no cure for the condition ! this has caused me a real depression.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
i know thy pain ! implanted, dual electrodes eliminated head and hand shake. now i have a worse problem-- a jumping eye. surgery not an option. prism lenses offered no help. it's to the point now, i don't even try fine shading anymore. the greatest evil for me-- there's no cure for the condition ! this has caused me a real depression.

Sorry to hear that Monk. Hopefully you can find some joy in the things you still can do! For one you are a great asset to the engraving community :)