used gravers

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
quite some time ago i bought a batch of used but clean looking gravers. i was amazed by the crude geometries, and really bad finishes. one thin caught my eye as i was cutting them shorter to better suit my purpose.
there's a flat graver marked "371/2-swiss made". on the other side, "vautier"! why would a graver be marked that way. i tested
them all. only 2 in the mix would do for use on steel. is this a standard way gravers are graded in size ? just curious.

Attachments

• 37 point 5.jpg
    37 point 5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 217

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Well, I own and use several 36's... and a 37 or 38 - this must be between them... never seen one with a half size before.

I also have several with the Vautier "brand" on 'em.

Not all that uncommon in older collections.

Since some of those were hand forged or roughed out with a drop hammer and then hand ground - you are likely to see them as crudely made, compared to the modern day blanks & alloys.

Most of which are now Chinese anyway...

I still prefer the Vallorbes for hand push - but I don't do so much of that anymore...

Brian

A few of mine also have the fingerprints of past owners lightly etched on them... I always wonder who had them last, what years, what work they did and where.

And whether someone, someday - will wonder about a fingerprint of mine that may show up after enough time passes...

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Well, I own and use several 36's... and a 37 or 38 - this must be between them... never seen one with a half size before.

I also have several with the Vautier "brand" on 'em.

Not all that uncommon in older collections.

Since some of those were hand forged or roughed out with a drop hammer and then hand ground - you are likely to see them as crudely made, compared to the modern day blanks & alloys.

Most of which are now Chinese anyway...

I still prefer the Vallorbes for hand push - but I don't do so much of that anymore...

Brian

A few of mine also have the fingerprints of past owners lightly etched on them... I always wonder who had them last, what years, what work they did and where.

And whether someone, someday - will wonder about a fingerprint of mine that may show up after enough time passes...

yeah, brian-- 2 of the batch i received had a fingerprint on them. i wondered just what sort of quality work the owner may have produced with such seemingly haphazard grinding. . not seemingly, there were many knife gravers, onglettes, flats, and rounds.
no 2 of similar type had geometry that appeared similar in angles. the only history provided by the seller-- they came from the estate of a retired, deceased jeweler. all in all, it was enjoyable to just inspect these puppies. when i get time, i plan to really put some decent geometry on them.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Brian

I have a nearly 200 yr old anvil I wonder the same ting about

Latest posts

Sponsors