Critique Request New porta-bench

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
I'm about to build me a new porta-bench out of aluminum and buy/try a california air comp. Ive had some good advice thus far any suggestions? Bench is for knives, pistols, bit&spurs.... smaller stuff.

Attachments

• myengravebench2.jpg
    myengravebench2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 297
  • myengravebench3.jpg
    myengravebench3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 293

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It looks like you took quite a bit of time in the planning. One thing I would suggest is a small shelf or table similar to the one holding the power hone on the right side. Maybe one that can be attached or not depending on your needs. I don't know your intentions for this, but if you were taking it to a show or other venue a second "table" surface might be helpful for displaying some work, writing up orders, holding other tools, etc. My bench is set up similarly in a horseshoe U around where I sit and I use the entire space both left right and straight on. Good luck. Can't wait to see it finished.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'd suggest mounting the powerhone shelf (and yeah, i'd put one on both sides like Tira said) on the main vertical support columns with split collars and clamping handles. that way you'll be able to easily adjust height and swing them in for transport.

maybe mount a clamping block in/on the table top for microscope vertical member so you don't have to haul its base around.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Tara has a good idea on the second shelf, on the right side. It should be done as a swing-away, with adjustable platform. I'd put on a split collar, to hold up the arm connected to the platform, and that collar could be used in like fashion, if thought out, to remove the whole business should you want to remove the whole thing, for some reason. You'd need to weld your primary split collar to the arm, possibly telescoping, to avoid it being permanent. Sometime, being modular can be of benefit. It's just a thought.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
To be portable and handy I think some built in wheels would be great. And enclose a lot of areas to make it theft and tamper resistant at shows if that's what it's for. Sort of fold it up and go. Oh, and an electrical strip with a main power switch.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
This is what I am thinking......

I would not have your compressor mounted on the bench. Get it as far as you can away from you (think 25 foot hose) the vibration and noise will make you nuts over time. Also will you be using a foot peddle ? if so will you enough have room to find that comfortable sweet spot ?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
excellent idea. for those of us that require a lot of clutter, uh-- i aint sure. i'd need an xtra 4x8' bench just to hold the junk i find so comforting.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great, however, my suggesting to install the compressor ( especially this type ) to another room, because after some time of work you will loose main idea what you are engraving. Will be too annoying. At least, you are going to use a supper silent compressor...

Idea is supper, thanks for sharing your project.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From the looks of the posts so far... that bench will be losing it's "portability" fairly shortly.

Brian

naaah, i was just going to suggest either putting heavy-duty locking casters all around, or mounting a couple fixed casters horizontally at the rear so they're about a half inch off the floor when the bench is standing up. then when you tip it back, the whole thing can be rolled just like a furniture dolly.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Looking at the drawing, it appears to me that the height crank handle will interfere with the upper table might want to confirm clearance prior to fabrication. Look good all in all ... keep in mind vibration damping ... under the scope you will see all of it..might want to consider filling tubes with sand or concrete.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yep, fill the tubes with sand or concrete for "vibration dampening" - and finish up by putting flanges on the feet so you can bolt it to the floor for absolute "stability".

Unless, you live in earthquake prone country - in which case, you may have to move somewhere that that doesn't happen, and haul the now six hundred pound bench to the new location.

All in all - depending on your choices, this bench could wind up costing you a few hundred thousand dollars...

B.

Don't forget you'll have to build a new shop area to put the bench in at the new house, unless you plan on just rolling it around from room to room as it gets in the way.

Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
You might consider some form of carbide dust abatement on your grinder since heavy metal lung disease can be a problem... It looks like you have designed it for your special needs, I see it as something light weight and highly portable with not a lot of bench space required....It looks to be very efficient and I like it......Good job

Bob

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Pull out arm rests, lighting supports and at least 3 to 5 kinds of lights, 6 drawers, an overhead clipboard, masking tape holders, built-in graver & handpiece racks, hooks all over it for miscellaneous tools to hang from - hammers, optivisors and such.

A bookshelf underneath for reference & design - or just for empty photo albums, because you haven't had enough time to engrave anything to take pictures of whilst constructing this marvel. :(

Maybe it will be finished by December of 2016 - if you add or do everything we can come up with?

And yeah, this will still be portable... if you happen to built like an Olympic weight lifter.

Brian

Last edited: