GRS Turntable bearings

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anyone know if replacement bearings are available for my GRS turntable? Rex, Sam?
Some reason mine will stay clean for about 2 weeks and I have to clean them again.
Anyone ever experiment with replacement bearings?
Layne Z.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yes, you can get the plastic bearings from GRS. Or at least you used to be able to?

How I know: Some years ago I dropped one of mine, the two halves came apart and I never did find 'em all :(

For the dust and chips problem: I found that if you take some of the black plastic tape, unroll a piece long enough for the circumference, tack it sticky side up, and then run a second piece sticky side down at the center, trim one of the 2 remaining sticky edges off - you can make a simple "shield" that will keep the crap out of the bearings. The half that is stuck together goes down because it won't stick. The half that still has adhesive on it gets stuck to the upper circumference edge.

Wow... I just reread what I wrote. Does anyone understand what I just tried to say? If so, could you maybe put up a more understandable version for those who didn't get it?

I swear I was not under the influence of anything when I wrote it. Just couldn't come up with better way to write it...

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can also do something similar with a thin strip of felt and glue it to the upper half. Either way will prevent dust and chips from getting in there.

In this particular instance, Lindsay definitely has the better design - the bearings are enclosed.

The potters wheel that a lot of students have been going to - also has the bearings up underneath and out of the way. I am currently using one myself.

Liking it best so far - for both price and the fact that you can't get dust & chips in it.

AND, though I use a drill press table - it's tall enough - that I don't have to crawl underneath and crank it up when I use it with a Lindsay low profile vise!

Brian

Last edited:

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
Look for the part number on the bearings, or measure the dimensions. Do a part search or go to a bearing store, you may find ones that are -Open, Shielded, or Sealed--- find one that is sealed. It will be pregreased. A shielded bearing will allow oil-dirt to pass though.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i solved the problem years ago. i duck-taped a small, nylon apron around the vise just above the seam. i used the light weight, slippery stuff barbers use. the chips and curls slide harmlessly down to the floor. far easier to clean the floor than the bearings.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You cannot use a shielded or sealed bearing in a GRS turntable. The turntable itself IS the bearing!

Basically, it consists of two steel discs with an interior quarter round groove around the circumference of both.

The loose plastic bearings seat in the grooves and the two discs are pinned in the middle.

The edges are exposed and allow for dust and chips to enter.

Basically it was a bad design from the very beginning, and needs one of the above described "after-market" alterations to prevent the problem.

I'm sure the factory has heard of this happening after all these years - and it would be easy & cheap to remedy. But they've never bothered to do it.

Brian

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I service my turntables maybe once a year. Tech wizkid JB Taylor at GRS told me about using lemon Pledge furniture polish to clean the surfaces before reassembling. It works great. JB could make those GRS turntables work with glassy smooth rotation. He'd also polish the grooves that the nylon bearings ride in and the turntable's performance was greatly enhanced.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eugene, ya musta missed the sentence above... the GRS turntable IS the bearing.

Two plates with grooves, bearings in the grooves & the whole thing held together with a center pin...

Yes, thrust bearings are great. For constructing your own turntable or using on a drill press table.

I have converted one of the drill press stands in the apprentices shop using one.

B.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne, I have the same issue, I dont even use the lock anymore, have to remove the top and clean it, does get frustrating, especially when you're turning your vice and you get that hiccup motion, not fluent, I have also moved to the blue potters turntable, it turns so smoothly night vs day difference, but it does ride higher tho, I will use the grs on occasion when I need a lower work surface. Im using a magnablock maybe with a low profile vise it would be perfect.

Saludos,
Carlos

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Brian! that's the simplest solution to the problem I've seen yet. I may even get fancy with a strip of plastic or Teflon. Patent the whole thing! Layne's Miracle Dust Shield. (with a percentage to Brian of course)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Ever notice how almost everything is "lemon scented" these days - except maybe transmission fluid and motor oil?

B.

grocery shopping the other day, i bought a lovely bunch of coconuts. to my surprise, they all had lime juice inside-- along with my doctors' phone number ! strange, no ??

Sponsors