level vise

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have just started to engrave and I am having problems keeping my work level and flat to the world. often ending up at round 35 degrees.
don't drink and drive you might spill your drink.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you have a GRS vise with rubber tire base, turn the base upside down so the vise rides tightly in the rubber and not the nylon pads that it normally rests on.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
It's possible, over the years, that there's been a change in the 'pads' that Sam mentioned. My older Magnabloc, heavy, had four or five pads of what looks like a stick-on fiberglass pad material, which you can get in sheets for other applications, like woodworking use in glides and fixtures. Maybe there's been a change in friction, as with mine, you have to tug or push somewhat to get things to move. It's neither too tight, nor too loose. Maybe inverting the tire is the best solution to your situation. The manufacturer could've changed the material, but with all the stuff out there, something will work out.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To me it seems that it is your big picture if you will. "started to engrave and I am having problems keeping my work level and flat to the world. often ending up at round 35 degrees" tells me that something is not right in your setup. Your chair is too high or too low to the eye pieces of the scope. The scope is not vertical in relations to the vise top- tilting in or out. Your entire setup is to high or low in relations to the length of the trunk of your torso. If the vise keeps leaning-Your pushing it there, though probably subconsciously because your body wants it there, Re evaluate and adjust. When you roll up to your work station you eyes should hit those eye pieces without stretch or strain. You should be seated comfortably without stretching or compressing your body. Feet should be on the floor with 10 degree or so up hill slope from hip to knee. When you pick up your tool both the vise hand and the tool hand should be equally at comfort when the tool meets the metal. Don't tilt your vise to enlarge the field of view. I can move my scope with my forehead and do most of the time.

I believe that it is the whole body to vise work setup and habit that my need exploration - for in convenience now neck and spinal problems in the future-Fred, been there still paying the price Marrinan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
35 degrees !! good lord. i'm thinking the floor in yer house may be the culprit. i had just such a problem when i built my scope cart. i thought the socket ( nylon) the ball rested in was to blame. a careful check revealed that the nylon socket was turned true on a lathe. perfect, right ? wrong ! i forgot the base was rough cut and had never been faced off. after facing the bottom, it was right on. initially it was off maybe 7 -10 degrees.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I've got my turntable/scope at around a 30°+ angle.
My wrist joints thank me.
Also, now I don't have to sit at attention for hours.
I can slightly bow my head relieving the strain.

Your body is trying to get comfortable by repositioning your vise to a natural position.
My buddy who had engraved for 40+ years had repeated carpal surgery. He engraved on a machinist's vise on a level turntable.
Watching him engrave, I saw how he had to put a crick in his wrist which of course put tremendous strain on his ligaments.

Listen to your body !

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Just had a thought on your pedicament.
If you need a consistently level surface, get a self centering machinist vise, such as a 4" jaw Wilton.
Several top notch engraver's have stood by these over the years.
This type of vise must have a separate turntable to function properly.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
After reading all of your reply I am able to take a look at my self and see a few things wright off the bat.i agree that my scope is about 1 to 2 inches to high. I have been wanting to drop the vise area about that much,great call there. Sams input makes stop and look at my tire.. my vise is a new grs 3 inch.
It also appear that I have not been the only person to start with some problems. It's really great to see all of the responses to my question.
Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If by 3" you mean the GRS Micro block - I don't think that turning over the base will help much.

Mine are all turned from Delrin? or some other plastic... you are more likely to make it unstable with the taper facing down. Wasn't designed for that.

You can however, make a taller base from PVC fittings from Lowes or Home Depot and add a rubber grommet or gasket to it - if you want to freeze or stiffen the movement...

I seal the bottom and fill the PVC base with lead shot for a little added stability.

Brian

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

my vise is a new grs 3 inch

If you do have the 3 inch micro block..........then you will constantly have problems with keeping it level (or positioned correctly) simply because it's not the best choice of vise for the engraver. It is a bit to small and not enough weight and mass to resist the force of hammering/pushing a graver through the metal. The micro block is great for some things but not general engraving.

You would be better off with a larger engraving vise designed for the purpose.

Cheers
Andrew

The

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brain, They don't sell lead shot any more, at least around here. Time is passing us by.
Andrew is right of course but the lighter vise would just make body position issues more acute and easier to happen. Fred

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you just want it flat (I often do with carving bracelets in particular), you don't need an engraving vice at all on the turntable (for that matter, on a turntable the ability for your vice to rotate is also a nuisance, tho easily suaged).
For flat engraving any old vice should do, as long as it's footprint is wide enough to be stable and still small enough to be able to push around your turntable.
I've got an old tin can out of lead, to which I glue things on the lid.
Just a block of steel (maybe faced w a piece of birch plywood so it's not such a terrible heat sink for whatever you are using to fix your piece to it) would be perfect.... The perfection wears thin pretty quick as your work starts to take on dimension.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred was spot on in his assessment. Depending on how you position yourself of course. With many years of experimentation I finally settled on using two of those round plastic quickchange graver holders from GRS as props for the back feet of my turntable. this puts the whole rig at 5 degrees tilted. I also skew that to the right. So it's a bit tilted that way as well. My Scope matches that angle. Far easier on my neck and wrist and back.
Just find something that works for you. Dead level may not be for you.
Layne

Latest posts

Sponsors