Lyson Corumbelle

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Are there any members that can furnish any history of this woman, or pictures of her engravings? I understand she was a talented and influential engraver at FN, but I am not sure of timeframe she worked there.
Thanks, gailm

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Gail,
I beleive you will find that Lyson to be a male and he is the son of Hepelite(SP) who was one of the driving forces of the garland with boquets over a field of tight english scroll-Angleo Bee is a master of this style-I Have a brief history which I will locate to night and update you-Fred

en2siastic

Lyson Corombelle

Hello Gail,
From the book of Claude Gaier about the armory in Liège, Lyson Corombelle is a woman, she died in 1971, her father was Hyppolite Corombelle. On the picture you can see Lyson and Félix Funken.
Best regards.
Francis.

Attachments

• Corombelle_WEB.jpg
    Corombelle_WEB.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 325

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
"a well respected italian gunmaker told me that it was a woman from Liege, Lyson Corombelle that even had the biggest influence on modern mass scale engraving in italian gun plants.. I don t have details but i m sure cafe members en2siastic or pierre can tell you more.."

This is a quote from a message I recieved from forum member Frank P when I had asked earlier this year about women engravers at FN. There was a picture posted at that time of the workshop at FN and it appeared that a lot of the engravers in the picture were women.
This is getting interesting!
gailm

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gail, in the book "The Art of Gun Engraving" by Claude Gaier and Pietro Sabatti, Lyson is listed as the son of Hyppolite Corombelle. the text also attributes a gun to Lyson and engraved in the 1950 which is clearly signed H. Corombelle 43--so much for its accuracy-The text states the both these Belgian engravers attempted to introduce art neuvo into gun engraving-this was not embraced and accordingto the text both moved to italy where both thepay was better and style was not as ridgid-both apparently worked for Barretta Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pierre,
Thank you for providing the littlegun site. It is a treasure chest of Belgian engraving! Especially the pictures of Alain Lovenberg's work.
Roger Bleile

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Pierre,
Thank you so much for the link to littleguns! It has lots of 'eyecandy', and information.
The quality of work from that era is amazing, especially given the working conditions and simplicity of tools as compared with today's. The volume of production is mind boggling as well.
gailm

percyhewitt

Corombelle Family Engraving during their "Exile" in England - 1915

I've just discovered this thread by chance! During the WW1 - In 1915, the Corombelle Family were in "Exile" in the village of Longhope, Gloucestershire in England (at Sunnyside Cottage, Little London) for some time, including Lte Hippolyte Corombelle, his wife and daughter Lyson Corombelle. I have inherited a couple of beautifully engraved solid silver inkwells with the classic Corombelle Designs of intricate bouquets of flowers which are usually found on gun barrels. In our family archives we have a couple of small coloured paintings of flowers by the family with messages & signatures in an autograph album (April 1915) which may be of interest, as well as a letter which is either by Corombelle's Wife or Daughter since we cannot decipher the signature. My father used to tell me that Lte Hippolyte Corombelle was the engraver to the Belgian King & Royal Family. Maybe others on this forum can verify whether this was true?

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Percy,

Somehow I missed your post. Thanks for passing on the images and information about the Corombelles. I was unaware of their stay in England. I have attached two examples of the Corombelle style of gun engraving. The Piotti was engraved by Contissa and the other by an unknown Spanish engraver.

Attachments

• Corombelle-Spanish.jpg
    Corombelle-Spanish.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 72
  • Corombelle-Piotti-Contissa.jpg
    Corombelle-Piotti-Contissa.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 72

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
when I worked at 'Lebeau-Courally" I meet several time Miss Corombelle,she was an old lady
bye Rocco

Attachments

• L1 copy.jpg
    L1 copy.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 47
  • L2.jpg
    L2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 46

Sponsors