+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Pierre,
    Thank you so much for the link to littleguns! It has lots of 'eyecandy', and information.
    The quality of work from that era is amazing, especially given the working conditions and simplicity of tools as compared with today's. The volume of production is mind boggling as well.
    gailm
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    Robt. Frost

Post Thanks / Like

Default Corombelle Family Engraving during their "Exile" in England - 1915

I've just discovered this thread by chance! During the WW1 - In 1915, the Corombelle Family were in "Exile" in the village of Longhope, Gloucestershire in England (at Sunnyside Cottage, Little London) for some time, including Lte Hippolyte Corombelle, his wife and daughter Lyson Corombelle. I have inherited a couple of beautifully engraved solid silver inkwells with the classic Corombelle Designs of intricate bouquets of flowers which are usually found on gun barrels. In our family archives we have a couple of small coloured paintings of flowers by the family with messages & signatures in an autograph album (April 1915) which may be of interest, as well as a letter which is either by Corombelle's Wife or Daughter since we cannot decipher the signature. My father used to tell me that Lte Hippolyte Corombelle was the engraver to the Belgian King & Royal Family. Maybe others on this forum can verify whether this was true?

Last edited by percyhewitt; 08-02-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Adding Images of Corombelle Engraving

Post Thanks / Like

Percy,

Somehow I missed your post. Thanks for passing on the images and information about the Corombelles. I was unaware of their stay in England. I have attached two examples of the Corombelle style of gun engraving. The Piotti was engraved by Contissa and the other by an unknown Spanish engraver.
    Attached Images
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

when I worked at 'Lebeau-Courally" I meet several time Miss Corombelle,she was an old lady
    bye Rocco
    Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

this is a work of Hippolyte ,her father
    Attached Images