Hello! I'm new to engraving.

Zoeylynn

I am new to engraving. I'm learning on what I need. I have been collecting items. But evidently I am buying the wrong stuff. I have a Foredom a Magna Engraver GRS 120* and a 90* engraver. I also have some engravers that came with the Magna Engraver. I have a GRS cup filled. A vice. I can solder rings. I make jewelry.

I want to learn to engrave. It's beautiful. I don't want the art to be lost. I want to make pendants and engrave on my rings.

Later when I get good knifes and Guns.

I need to know what I need to get started. Also where do you buy clear transfer to transfer your design on your metal. I do not know any technical terms. I'm below beginner but eager to learn.
Thank you for reading.

I know I need a rotating vice. So if anyone has one for sale or direct me to the place. I have searched and can't find one under $500.00.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

D Fulwood

Click on Tips Archive button for almost all the answers. You can make your own vice or get a cheaper Chinese made one for about 200 on EBay.

Jlepak

The grs micro ball vise is a bit less than 300$. It isn't ideal for engraving but certainly does the job. I am a jeweler and for jewelry engraving and ALL stone setting it is great. At home I use the low profile vise and turntable. It is a better setup for engraving. But I learned on the micro vise till I knew it was time to invest in the real nice stuff. Also. The classes offered at grs training center Are guaranteed to inspire you and get the ball rolling. Go to grstc.com and see if it fits your budget to attend a class, you will not regret it.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
welcome, I to am new to this to, these guys are giving you some good advise. I went thru the same problem when I started faceting and if you were able to see some of the junk that's sitting around, and hid in the back of some draws it will scare you. read, read, read. this site is loaded with info. keep an eye on ebay you never knows what will turn up.
don't drink and drive you might spill your drink!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Besides GRS training center courses you will find many other engravers that provide one on one or small classes all over the US. There are several in Texas and a couple of truly legendary engravers not far from you. A short hop to Southern LA will lead you to our host Sam Alfano who provides individual instruction. Ray Cover has a traveling program that spent some time in the Southwest this past year. Have not seen his plans for the coming year.

A great deal of time could be devoted to buying tools, watching youtube and here on the forums. spending a little time with a pro can save years off the learning curve (that is how I do it and I have wasted 30 plus years my time) I reached a plateau years ago and while I continue to improve slowly. I remember when a number of the current masters were newbees. People who are greats legends like Lee Griffith, Christian Decamilis (sp) some who will be great like Andrew Biggs and Dani. If you have the heart and means pick a great and go for it. Start right and practice and your equipment will not end up on the buy/sell page-evaluate what advice I and many others give you. take what is worth a damn to you and leave the rest. Give yourself a though realistic self evaluation and honest evaluations from those you respect, that may be one or ten but choose wisely- Kudos are pleasant but you mom can provide those-Fred

Zoeylynn

Thank you for all the information. I apologize for the late response. I have been busy. During the day I do home health nursing. In the evening of I'm not worn out from exhaustion I plan ideas. I'm starting to write them down or should I say draw them. I was going to meet a engraver from a friend of a friend but I learned he may not be with us very much longer. So for those who pray. Please pray for comfort and healing. I'm still going to try and meet with him.

I am learning slowly. I have to buy some material that will let me draw or print an image on it and stick it on the metal to practice engraving.

**** what is the name of this item? It's plastic and left on the metal while engraving or the plastic/ material that leaves the imprint of your design?****

I have really learned I need a ball vice. I can't make curved angles with out slippage and right now idc because I'm just seeing what my engravers do. I know I need a new set up. The one I have is awkward and hard to use.

I am really excited to find this site. I'm so great full to the person who directed me here.

When I have a moment to breath I will check out everything in this site. I hope to make a few online friends. I want to travel to San Angelo Texas to learn from that engraver. I will message h as soon as I have some money set aside for the trip.

Since I mDe this thread I have soldered 7 rings a heart 2 bezels and have plans for a customer. I learned 30 gage S/S sheet is not the best to engrave on right now. Too shallow. But I did learn what my pieces can do.
Chattering is when the line is not smooth and is wavy? They have lubricants will help keep the metal engraver on metal with no unwanted in line texturing?

Thank you for all your replies. I hope to be around for a long time.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
go to the search button at the top of the page-- type in "image transfer techniques". there's many, many ways to do transfers. about the only practical way to learn our "language" or terminology, is the glossary provided to us by forum member, roger bleile. this forum has members from all over the globe. many different cultures, languages, etc. his glossary provides a better, broad-based understanding of the terms used in this profession.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I started with a bowling ball vise and still use it, because it was what I had since I am a woodcarver. My cost was about $20 for a used bowling ball and a Harbor Freight drill press vise and a little time and effort to get it all put together.

Zoeylynn

Thank you for all the advice. I have found some tracing papers and items like that. I have watched so many videos. Some are truly inspiring. I'm still saving for the Ball Vice. I have been drawing and practicing designs and swirls. I have been making jewelry and at the moment working on a turquoise piece. 1X1/2" marque shaped. I have made some rings and other jewelry. I'm very eager to start engraving. I should have one soon. I will keep a look out in the "buy sell" section. I can't post there yet.

But anyways, I never thought I would be doing what I'm doing. I love working with metal and making something that will be sent out into the world.

monk

Staff member
as you sell your work, it's mandatory that you set aside a certain percentage of each sale to make the "big buy". be it a ball vise, a sharpening system or a host of other goodies engravers use. this requires a bit of discipline, but such brings the reward ! know ye ahead of time, this art and all that goes with it, requires time. time to develop a way to work that works in your situation. every engraver has a situation that may be unique in certain respects. whatever that may be, it requires adjustment, patience, and perseverance.

Zoeylynn

I agree. My intentions are to reinvest in my work. I have a lot of crystals beads and beads. I started making necklaces and selling them. I was making a lot of money. I have beads from all over the world from other places than China. My favorite are the depression glass beads. They are so beautiful. I also have a collections of gemstones. My favorite are the Rubies largest 14.4ct square Art Deco Style I think, and a piece of turquoise I'm working on. My favorite Silver is Argentium. I have sheets and wire. I have sold rings. They look like they were made by a real jeweler.

I can solder well. I use a pen torch. I want a O2 and gas torch in the future but the pen torch works great. I can solder where you can barely tell where the pieces have met.

My engraving tool is a Magna Engraver with original bits and I have bought some GRS Engravers and GRS pitch cup, GRS ring vice holder, for engraving . I use a Foredom Flex Shaft it's hard without a Ball Vice. I wish I knew what I was doing a year ago. I would of bought the air engraver and ball vice and other stuff before I became disabled. I had the funds then.

Anyways, I can't wait to show off some stuff I make. I have a long way to go but I have learned so much.

Zoeylynn

I am finally getting a GRS MagnaBlock. I bought a couple of gravers.

What size gravers are needed?
I see some listed as #0,1,2,3,4,5.
I see some listed in degrees of angle.

I have to get a round shaft that is 1/8" and no bigger.

What sizes are recommended?

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
New too!!!

I am Papart1 newly joined ............I am really looking for an engraver that uses the Magna-Graver from Fordom to see if I can save some money and still produce engravings that will be exceptable (to me anyway) can you help me please, everyone is so busy...........the pros, I don't want to bother them any more than I have. Respectfully Submitted Rob Thrash

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Hello. Papart1 welcome to the group. There is the info you are looking for if you go up to the search and type in Magna Graver and read past post. I use hammer and chisle so I don't have any experience with it but I have read that the N graver if better then the foredom it uses a flex shaft also and not bad priced
You may want to start a new post with your questions this post is kind of mixed up
Zoeylynn glad to see your getting a great block. For the gravers it seems that the 120° and the 116° is the most common used and some flats they just seam to be witch ever fits your patterns I use a #41 alot but I am just starting my self. I use round blanks like you are needing you can get them from grs

Boomhower

Elite Cafe Member
Papart1 here is the link to the N graver site hope
http://www.ngraver.com

Sorry I got confused I thought you was meaning the foredom set up and confused the to lol sorry.
The Ngraver set up there is plenty info on it

Last edited:

Steve L S

I think learning how to sharpen a graver is the non negotiable first step. Strangely if you come from a strong metalworking/woodworking background like me that can be a disadvantage because you are overconfident....."yeah yeah I know how to sharpen stuff" , sort of mindset. I think you need to contact a professional teacher and at least buy a properly sharpened graver from him/her, that way you have a reference point to start from. Of course having a professional show you how to sharpen a graver would be ideal but if you have to go it alone at least you will know what a properly sharpened graver is, then you can get over that hump and move on to the next.
Steve