Spyderco/ Dragonfly

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Critique, you say ?
What's to critique when it's perfect ?
I see a little Kornbrath/Lister there, which is a classic.
Layout, scrolls, leaves, shading all look fantabulous !
IF you don't care to sell it, I would sure like to purchase a casting.
Jeff

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like how your engraving meets the borders. Well laid out. Some engravers never grasp that talent.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I really really like it. Only critique I could possibly offer is one scroll comes off in a different way to all the others, I have been bringing scrolls off like that and it's bugging me in my own work. See how it kind of kinks it's way off the backbone of the scroll on the far right scroll. It should all be turning in one direction.

I'd have a good think about what old mate said about doing castings... would anyone else on here be interested in buying them from him?

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh, and if it helps you, looks great, but there's a little rule from the ten engraving commandments you've broken. You have three scrolls going in the same direction on the left in the first picture. Technically it's encouraged to have the biggest scrolls being the starter scroll and then getting evenly smaller or all the same size, or close to. Your first one is medium, second large, third small.

To avoid this you could make the start of the scroll larger, move the head of the scroll over to the left a little, then you can have two more scrolls of pretty well the same size after that.

Very tricky, but you've done great. Great style, control, layout, execution, finished product is just lovely.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Dani,

As they say, " A picture is worth a thousand words, BUT, the real thing leaves you speechless!"

Jeff sent along a "Practice plate" with the knife that is absolutely incredible.
For me, this is my "Holy Grail" of study pieces that I have been looking for for years.

Last night I went over Jeff's previous postings and as Sam stated, Jeff is doing better drawing than 95% of what is posted here and his engraving is even better!
The camera DOES NOT pick up all of the little nuances in his actual engraving.

I advise you to talk with Jeff about an actual "Practice " plate for your studies.
With the profound quality of YOUR engravings this would only serve to enhance your work even more, BUT, DO NOT change the way you do that " Flowing water" dot punch background that you did last year, as it was a KILLER !

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew!.... and thanks Dani & Jeff for the kind comments and the advice, much too kind & I appreciate any and all feedback!

Latest posts

Sponsors