GRS Positioning vice and turntable

James Ashley

:happyvise: So i currently have a GRS positioning vice. I have been doing some reading about using a turntable when using a scope. My vice turns but should i also have a turntable underneath it? If so to what end?

Thanks

James

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
James,
I'm not sure about the positioning vice but with the standard blocks you lock it in place to prevent rotation and the turntable will keep the block centred when the work is rotated. I guess with the positioning vice there should be no need for a turntable. :thinking:
Roger

Last edited:

James Ashley

Yeah its got me beat Roger!
I assumed engravers would just use the inbuilt rotation within the vice but apparently I was wrong :rolleyes: I have to admit my vice rotation is smooth but just the sheer weight in the bohemeth means it doesn't always turn as smooth as a good turntable would especially when its out of centre to get your work area into field of view.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A turntable is not needed with the Positioning Vise. Its positioning feature keeps the work centered so there's no need for a turntable. I prefer a turntable because it has much more travel and is faster than the Positioning Vise, and if you want to go that route it would probably better to have a vise like the Low Profile vise which is smaller, lower, and lighter and designed for turntable use.

James Ashley

Excellent thanks Sam!
I was just wondering really if I was making it harder for myself not having the turntable. Maybe a future purchase if funds or need arises!
Thanks again.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam but. I own a few vises the first being the positioning vise, great weight and movement. It will serve you well by itself in most applications. As your pieces get larger or oddly shaped the turntable becomes a great tool. You can offset you work and make things easier on yourself using the turntable and locking your vise up. Not to say you will use the turntable all the time but it will save time and make life easier. When I started engraving Sam always talked of the turntable and I could not see a big need. Years went on and the items engraved got larger and oddly shaped. Changes were needed for the work holding and easier centering, tried a turntable. Never looked back. Sam is dead on in his statement but as work pieces grow holding and supporting the item and moving it close to or at the center of rotation becomes more difficult.
Potters wheels make great turntable and are very reasonably priced. Your work using a positioning vise with not suffer it is a great vise I really like mine, the turntable just fills the next need if you get to larger or oddly shaped work pieces.

Eric

hello-bro

Hi James,
I am looking for a positioning vise to purchase. Noticed that you own one . If you ever want to sell it I'll be interested.
regards,

Latest posts

Sponsors