Scrimshaw material

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Carlos, Thx for posting this:thumbsup:. Been looking for an alternative for ivory grips for model p's. They have the sizes I need. Did you come across anything on anyone making grips outta this stuff?:thinking:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Carlos, Thx for posting this:thumbsup:. Been looking for an alternative for ivory grips for model p's. They have the sizes I need. Did you come across anything on anyone making grips outta this stuff?:thinking:
no sorry, pens and duck calls

Saludos,
Carlos

vslynes

Hi Carlos,
I have put alternative ivory on knife handles and my wife really likes it for scrimshaw! Get some and give it a try and you will be pleased!
Vern

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Carlos, I wrote a post a little bit ago talking about various ivory alternatives for scrim and alternative ivory col.849/TM was one of them, I attached what I said below. Search my posts and you can see what I had to say about others. There's a $50 min. order at masecraftsupply so I had to buy quite a bit of the stuff, if you'd like to try some of it out pm me and I'll send you some to try:)

If anyone else would like to try this stuff out or just see some for that matter pm me and pay for postage and I'll send you a slice. I bought a 19 inch long rod of the stuff thats 1.5" in dia. I bought it with the intent on slicing it to make poker chips but the faux ivory pattern is all wrong as its meant to be shown length ways and not sliced diagonally:( I should have thought about it for a minute when I bought the stuff, I would have realized the error of my grand master plan!

"col.849/TM; Approved by the royal family and several big name museums as an ivory replacement/alternative. Has the right color and the color mix to simulate ivory grain is fairly decent. Very similar to corian but a bit more…. elastic under the scribe. Does not chip like corian tends to when poked with a scribe. Smells like a mixture of citrus and deep woods off when cut/sanded. Is somewhat difficult to get deep blacks with the two inks I tried. The craters created from stippling do make some shiny spots though. Is as acceptable as corian for workability with the bonus of looking kinda like ivory."

Michael, I don't know of anyone making grips out of this stuff currently but its certainly possible to do, it cuts, sands and polishes like a dream.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron,

thanks, i do remember reading that now, did not recognize it by its technical name. Thanks again

Saludos,
Carlos

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Carlos and Ron for the info. Those chess pieces look so good I went ahead and ordered some. I'll be sure to post pics and let everyone know how it was to work with when I'm done. Probably be a few months from now.:thumbsup:

Sponsors