Question: CorelDRAW x7

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I purchased Sam's Easy Computer Lettering video and downloaded the free trial version of CorelDraw. I've been designing a practice plate but came across a problem I can't solve even with the help menu in Corel.

I got the text to follow the top curve of the oval but the bottom line of text is backwards. Any tips on how to reverse it so it reads from left to right?

I've attached a screen grab to show my problem.

This is not the finished design. This is me playing around with the features to figure out what is what.

I appreciate any help in advance.

Engraving Question Capture.jpg

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I only have the X3 version so they might be a little different from each other but try the mirror image icons. You might have to do some of the words in different layers (you might also want to put them on a different baseline) so that you can highlight only the words you want to alter and then reconstruct the layers to the finish you want.

celticjohn

Not sure how you got the text on the oval but in the later versions if you select the text, hold down the shift key and select the oval. Then to to the "text" option on top screen it expands and select the "fit text to path" usually a new text toolbar opens allowing you to set the text offset and direction of text and option to set text above or below the oval or circle.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Belprime

The way I did it in an older version of Illustrator was to create a larger oval for the bottom lettering. The program wants to place the base of the letters on the oval, so you need to give it another base to do so. Hope this might help... it's been a while since I've had to do it.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
I have X4 and for the text on the top of the oval, I use the normal fit text to path command. For text on the bottom, I rotate it 180 degrees so that it is upside down, then I use fit text to path.

Attachments

• fit text to path.jpg
    fit text to path.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 199

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've found some experimentation is needed with the kerning feature to get the spacing to be just right. when doing this. when in the straight line mode, i set 2 guide lines. 1 left, 1 right. then fit text to path. if the lettering is scrunched a bit, go back and kern the text using the saved guide lines as a 2nd. starting point. kern a bit more-- repeat as needed till all looks good. for me this has been a real bugger, esp on the negative curve. a better alternative is to just direct draw.

celticjohn

As a rule I just don't use script fonts when laying text in semi-circles or ovals. It becomes too distorted.