Flying with Airgraving in Carry On

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aaahhhh yes... flying and the TSA. I have to fly a lot with tools and it is a constant headache. My main airport is Philadelphia, but I also fly out of Newark quite a bit and have had heart to heart talks with the TSA agents multiple times about the tools and if they have to be checked. If you look at the rules for flying (at least domestically) you are supposed to be allowed to take small tools on the plane as long as they are not beyond a certain length (7 inches I believe) including wrenches, pliers, etc. So I have taken my tools to the head TSA guys at the airport and asked if they comply. Here I'm speaking about the gravers NOT even in a collet or hand piece at all - just the simple gravers. Three times now with different people I get the same answer..... Yup, it would seem to comply with the rules, but if you get a TSA agent who interprets the rules differently then they will be confiscated, etc.

I even asked if I could provide a full set of tools to be inspected so that maybe I could get a letter that states they have had the once over and are OK.... Nope.... It all comes down to how someone feels on a certain day.

Now, having said that - and back to your hand piece. I have flown with hand pieces in my carry on bag multiple times and have never had a problem. I NEVER have a graver installed in the hand piece. It is always neatly packaged with the hose coiled up. I also have a printout of the hand piece (from a catalog or web site), my card which states I'm an engraver and a small engraving sample on me so that I can show people what "an engraver" really means. In my case the hand pieces I now travel with are not that expensive or personalized. If I wanted to travel with a Lindsay I would probably also go the extra step of disassembling some of it so the entire thing looked smaller and probably store the parts in different pockets of the bag.

Good luck - I know this is so frustrating. In the end it will come down to whether or not the person thinks it may be a threat and will or will not be reasonable with your explanation.

Tira, This might even be a good sales opportunity or at least a contact that you hand your business card to!!! Ya never know!!!!!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If there's a gun in the case then it will be there. TSA will do any inspection right at the beginning by having you unlock (and then re-lock) the case.

Of course this only works if you're traveling to someplace you can take a firearm. It's also a good reason to get a little NAA revolver - leaves more room in the case.

An engraved one at that!!!!

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
An alternative (though not always handy or workable) would be to send the items to your hotel and send them back. Cylinders are always a problem.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i had to leave a bolt (but and bolt) behind at the security screening on a Canadian domestic flight, Because of a no 'tools' policy.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I travel for a living...and have not had any problems loosing items from my checked luggage. That being said...
My suggestion would be to keep all the gravers and tools in your suitcase (checked luggage). The hand piece could be in with your carry on ... if you want to "roll the dice". However, just play it safe and put it all in your checked luggage. It will be (IMHO) as safe there as in the US mail...and a something like zero probability of getting lost plus it will arrive with you. Do make sure you have a luggage tag (not the paper ones the airlines hand out) securely attached to your bag and also visually ensure the bag tag that the ticket agent attaches to luggage has your name and correct destination on it...a buddy of mine ended up with a brides honeymoon attire and his luggage ended up in Hawaii...took 24 hours to get that little mix up sorted out.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Do make sure you have a luggage tag (not the paper ones the airlines hand out) securely attached to your bag and also visually ensure the bag tag that the ticket agent attaches to luggage has your name and correct destination on it...a buddy of mine ended up with a brides honeymoon attire and his luggage ended up in Hawaii...took 24 hours to get that little mix up sorted out.

Coming back from Vegas I grabbed my bag out of the shuttle, just so happens one of the passengers had like luggage..... I had his he had mine. We couldn't connect in the terminal and missed each other, I got mine the next day at home. He was from Dublin Ireland... the airline called for a couple of weeks,never heard if he got his??? Who would've thought they would make more than just one type of luggage....

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I flew last spring with sharpened gravers in a GRS tube. in my laptop case along with all of my drawing equipment . No problems . Left the Lindsy at home.
In 1993 I went to Randy Merrrels boot making class in Vernal Utah. Getting a direct flight was out of the question . I carried a tool box full of leather tools, carry on . Head ,point ,skiving knives lasting pliers and such .
I flew from
Columbus Ohio to Cincinnati to Atlanta to Minneapolis to Salt Lake to Vernal Utah. Changed planes every stop. The tool box was never question until my return trip . The puddle jumper airport questioned my tool on the way home. Asked If I cared if they checked them.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I have carried my handpieces in my carry on with no problems, but I put the gravers in checked luggage. I carried all my equipment to South America a couple of years ago while I was working down there. The biggest problem I had was with the TSA agent wanting to go through my whole tool chest. I had everything packed tightly so things would not move during the trip. The first thing the TSA agent did was very roughly turn the chest upside down, then turned it right side up and proceded to take everything out of the chest. I offered assistance when he went to try to stuff everything back in the box but was refused. Needless to say everything was a jumbled mess when I got to Chile. My tool chest weighed in at aboout 80 lbs had two wheels and a pull handel that stored into the box, I had to pay extra to take it. On the return trip a year later after having gone through customs in Chile, their agents where much more professional, and the box was marked with their inspection tag and I locked my box. I get back to the US, my locks were cut off and one of the wheels to the tool chest had been knocked off. I paid $400 dollars total both ways and got treated like a piece of s*#t by the US customs and TSA agents, in Chile they were respectful of my equipment and also very helpfull. Plus it took me about an hour and a half to get through US customs where it only took about 20 minutes to go through Chile's customs. Sorry for the rant, I did not have any trouble carrying the handpiece though.

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
OK so Im amending my previous post....As luck would have it
I departed Norfolk on my way to Orlando via Charlotte, NC Monday of this week. All good until my bag failed to show up in Orlando. After standing around and nothing I made my way over to the airline baggage office where they proceeded to tell me they didn't know exactly it was...not good answer in my opinion. Filed a report and gave me a number to call to check status. So I went out that evening an purchased clothes and hygiene supplies. Continued to call that evening and the next day; only to get the same message "we are still attempting to locate you baggage". It did turn up the next evening...
SO...that being said, I was on probably 80 airline flights last year (the same for the previous five years), without any insistence or issues.
Bottomline, it all ended well but "S*#T" can and does happen....

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
There can be issues with collecting reimbursement if valuables are lost from checked luggage. For example, jewelry and electronics are not covered.
When I need tools at a site I fedex them ahead of time, and prepare a return shipping label so I can fedex them back upon completion.

I do often carry marble samples in my carryon. Nothing like a 5" cube of marble or a bundle of 5" x 3" x 3/4" slabs to confuse their xray machines.

TSA agents operate on the "sayso" rule:
It's not allowed.
Why?
'cause I sayso.

End of discussion. :(

Sponsors