elk ivory pendants

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
was asked to make a set of pendants out of some elk ivory. only guideline was make them look good, and each one different. these are what I came up with.
getting caught up on jewelry work enough that its time to get back to playing in the knife shop the rest of the week.

thanks for looking.

DSCF1992.jpg

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I usually capped them with custom made sterling bezel cups about 10mm deep or so and then added the decoration or applique to the bezel. Same with bear claws. I would saw off some of the flattened root end.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
I usually capped them with custom made sterling bezel cups about 10mm deep or so and then added the decoration or applique to the bezel. Same with bear claws. I would saw off some of the flattened root end.

I sanded a flat on the back, then on the sides just slightly too. marked where the bezel came up to and made a slight undercut using a .9mm ball bur just below that to punch the silver into while setting.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats a really nice job.
I have about two dozen or so from my family's elk trips over the last couple of generations. Maybe i should do something with them.
:)

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
:thumbsup::tiphat: Real pretty and a bit different.

thanks!

Thats a really nice job.
I have about two dozen or so from my family's elk trips over the last couple of generations. Maybe i should do something with them.

Thanks barry!
ive got a couple of my own, and my dad up in montana has quite a few as well. am also thinking of other ways of doing these. each idea leads to 5 more..... just need to pick one I guess.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thats a really nice job.

some scrim, maybe ? and some of your gold leaves ! looks good already !

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
some scrim, maybe ? and some of your gold leaves ! looks good already !

one of the ideas that went through my head was inspired by barrys work.... inlaying some fine silver leaves into the ivory. different style leaf than barrys though.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one of the ideas that went through my head was inspired by barrys work.... inlaying some fine silver leaves into the ivory. different style leaf than barrys though.

barry sort of has that style all his own. takes a real "touch" to do what he does. i think it was ron knott that did gold inlays on guns. ron had his own distinct style, as does barry.

Latest posts

Sponsors