Hello from a new member of the forum!

bswezey

Hello all...

Wanted to say hi now that I've officially registered as a member of the forum. I've been lurking for a few days.

My husband is a custom knife maker. He's been obsessed with collecting knives forever and has been building knives for 20 years or so, but about 5 years ago we got serious and invested in getting him set up with the tooling he needed to succeed.

About a year ago I retired from the mortgage world and became his shop assistant. Watching his passion for creating gave me the bug and I started doing file work on some of his knives. Then I read an article from 2012 that focused on women in knifemaking, and that really increased my desire to do something more creative.

I just finished taking a Basic Hand Engraving course last week at Trinidad State Junior College. I met a couple of engraver's there who both recommended this forum and I can see why....So much inspiration available. It floors me to see what can be done.

I have to admit that my first course was exciting and very challenging, but mainly served the purpose of showing me how much I have to learn. I've never done much drawing or designing and know that will be the first thing I need to focus on. I'm so impressed with the talent I see on the forum.

Hoping to someday be able to draw/engrave something 1/10th as nice as some of the things submitted here.

I'll definitely be back often....Thanks!

Last edited:

FerrousOxide

Welcome to the forum and the world of engraving. ;-) Yes, it's a lot to take in, but stick with baby steps and you will progress faster than you may think.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome aboard! The world of knifemaking is one that more of the ladies are entering, as also is the world of engraving. You have a 'hands on' experience with both. The more you see, the more you learn. Hope you have a fascinating trip!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
If you haven't already, get Julie Warenski's book authored by David Darom. Julie is a real inspiration for women AND men alike.
Julie is also good people.
Plus she's your next door neighbor !

bswezey

Thanks all! I agree...I can't believe how much I've learned in one week. I have already begun by ordering a few books to start my reference library. I never thought I could get so much satisfaction from creating something out of steel, but I definitely do.

I don't have Julie Warenski's book yet, but it's definitely on my list. She was actually one of the women knifemakers that was mentioned in the article that fueled my interest and her engraving is amazing. She's is very much an inspiration to me.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Ron Smith's Drawing Advanced Scrolls !
Ron starts by teaching you one line at a time AND which line is #1,2,3, etc. This book teaches you HOW to LEARN to draw !
Learn to draw a scroll backbone and how to draw various leaves and put them together and Voila', you have a pattern !
Just like in elementary when learning to print, practice each stroke until you can do it fluidly, then tackle the next line. After a while it comes as EASY as writing your name.

bswezey

I ordered Ron Smith's Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs a couple of days ago. I didn't realize he had another one ...Will have to put that one on my wish list as well! :)

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. lee griffiths also has a nicely done book on scroll development. the ladies that post here are as good as the guys ! "dani girl" comes to mind. she has done some fantastic work. tira mitchell, who hasn't posted in quite awhile, is also one to be admired. her work is "right on", as some would say. the art of bot ladies can be seen right here in the archive.
tira has a nice on-line store. chock full of goodies-- tools, books, dvd's & such.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of engraving. are you planning to also make some knives of your own, or mostly engrave what your husband makes?

everyone seems to have already suggested some great books. I second all those recommendations. a good reference library is an essential tool for us.

post pics of the sketches and the practice up here.... there are a lot of helpful experienced engravers with equally helpful advice in here.

bswezey

Thanks for all the comments and tips. At least to begin with I will mainly be engraving on knives that my husband has made, since I'm still working on honing my knifemaking skills in addition to learning to engrave. I have a real interest in coming up with a design for a integral knife. Perhaps a dagger. Right now I'm trying to get some tooling/equipment purchased so I can get to that practicing. Will have to do a lot of sketching in the meantime!

Latest posts

Sponsors