Lindsay Palm Control vs foot control

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I've been using Lindsay classic w/foot control for almost 3 years now & been thinking to convert it into a palm control for ergonomic reason.

The foot control is just not comfortable while engraving standing up which I prefer after sitting in the office all day.

However, I'm a little worry about how long be the learning curve from foot control to PC?
Also, I do a lot of heavy cutting on motorcycle parts, will the PC give more stress to my hand than the foot control?

Does anybody here actually prefer the foot control over the palm control?

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
It'll take about ten minutes to switch over and figure out the Palm Control is completely natural feeling. Push harder, get more power. Need less power for delicate cuts, don't push as hard...

But, don't get rid of the foot control. For punch sculpting and stippling, foot control is easier because you can hold the Airgraver like a pencil. Otherwise, you have to keep your finger on top of the Palm Control to activate and control it. I've always found that a little awkward. To change from Palm Control (PC) to foot control, just unplug the short tube from the side of the Classic and plug in the tube from the foot control. Ten seconds of work...

Tom

Last edited:

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Tom,
I did not realize they are very easy to swap back and forth between PC & foot control. In that case, I need to sleep it off for a few days or more if I really want to spend the money for the PC. Danggg......it AIN'T CHEAP lol

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
You know that you can upgrade the Classic to a PC for $1790.00, right? I mean you don't have to buy a complete one again, this is from Lindsay's web site,

"Updating a foot control Classic or Artisan AirGraver® handpiece to PalmControl® -- $1790"

not cheap but worth the money, also if you can, get the stainless steel handle($59.00) because I agree with Tom on this that he posted in Steve's forum a while back,

I drive my Palm Control (PC) pretty hard, and recommend the stainless steel handle over the burl or rubber.

I think the extra mass of the stainless steel handle helps the PC hammer harder and smoother.

Tom

Richard.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Ahhhh....I thought the conversion to PC from foot control would be somewhat permanent.
So the air regulator lines would be easy to swap too, right?

Thank you for the recommendation on the stainless steel handle, I use high pressure/ tungsten piston when engraving bike parts, Wouldn't the rubber cap absorb the vibration better though?

Denny

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Wouldn't the rubber cap absorb the vibration better though?

Denny

Nope. It's an inertia thing. Heavier = less vibration transmission until you generate enough force to overcome inertia. The force of the piston motion is likely too small to actually do much compression of the rubber handle, so the flexibility of the rubber probably isn't really involved.

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors