12.5x Eyepieces. Anyone else use them on their microscope

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Recently, while searching e-bay for a Zeiss Stemi, I found a pair of new Meiji 12.5 microscope eyepieces for sale for $70.00--which I bought. My Meiji EMZ 8TR came with 10x and 20x eyepieces and I used the 10x with a 0.5x objective lens adapter for engraving.

Wow, I wish that I had been using 12.5x eyepieces all along. The Meiji works so well now I may not continue looking for a Zeiss Stemi.

Steve

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Dang it ! Just when I thought I had EVERYTHING I could possibly need !
Just goes to show, "Thinking" is dangerous, to the pocketbook.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
For my work I don't need the additional magnification and narrower field of view that 12.5x eyepieces would provide. Or maybe there's a benefit I'm overlooking?

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam;

You may recall from the days past when you used a Meiji that as you zoom to maximum magnification the image brightness decreases as it is projected back to your eye. However, with the 12.5x eyepieces I can zoom in to the same degree of magnification as the 10x without the darkening. If I zoom more, of course then the 12.5x image began to darken; but I do not need more magnification than where I was at max with the 10x's. That is the main benefit for the 12.5x's for the Meiji--for the high quality Zeiss Stemi there is likely no benefit. When I am better off using the 10x's, I can just drop them into the eyepiece holders.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ok, thanks for the explanation. At lowest zoom the field of view is less than with 10x eyepieces, correct? I definitely wouldn't want a narrower field of view.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, a bit less; and for that reason I keep the 10x eyepieces in the drawer beside my M/S. I can grab the 10x's and drop them in as I pull out the 12.5x's. However, it is not often that I do that.

Sponsors