Watch Engraving

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some pics of a stainless steel watch I just finished engraving for my son. The skull that I used is the logo for his rock band. He took an astronomy class in college and learned about stellar corpses and that is the name of his band. This watch was a great learning experience and I want to say thanks to Andrew Biggs who has been gracious with his time in answering questions I had about watch engraving. He also pointed out areas that I can really improve in and hopefully each watch I engrave gets better. Please feel free to throw out any suggestions, curtiques or comments that you may have.

View attachment 34576 IMG_4532.jpg IMG_4520 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4536.jpg
    IMG_4536.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 362

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
David;

I like it. Your design and style is very pleasing to the eye. I am certain it will gain a lot of attention and admiration.

Steve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nothing i see needs critique. naturally, if you mail it to me i'll take a closer look. my wrist size, not sure.

wdale.bass

Dave, could you talk a little bit about how your held the watch(fixtures)glue or what ever to engrave and post that for all to see? Thanks!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, could you talk a little bit about how your held the watch(fixtures)glue or what ever to engrave and post that for all to see? Thanks!

Happy to pass on what was freely shared with me. Below are a couple pics of the way I held the watch for the topside engraving and also for the sides. I learned this from Andrew Biggs. It is simple but works well. For the topside engraving I cut a short piece of round wooden rod and then flattened one end of it to fit square in the vise. On the other end I applied a round glob of Thermo-loc. Warm it up and press the watch case in and you're ready to go! For the sides I cut a small rectangle wood block about 1/2" thick to fit just inside the lugs on the watch case and used a simple piece of leather for the other side. I did a lot of trial and error on a few old junk watch cases. One thing for sure... be prepared to sharpen and resharpen your gravers a lot!! Hope this helps.

work holding watch2.jpg work holding watch.jpg

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Very cool man! So looked like you only removed the wrist band and didn't have to removed the mechanism/glass.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Very cool man! So looked like you only removed the wrist band and didn't have to removed the mechanism/glass.

On this one I did leave the glass but you have to take out the mechanism because you also have to remove the crown in most cases. Plus you feel a whole lot better engraving without taking a chance on messing up the innards!

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thought I would share one last picture of the watch since I went back and did a bit more engraving on it. The side of the lugs were only semi deep relief and they did not match well so I cut them to full deep relief and I like it better. I also engraved the top center panel on the watch band. The band seemed even tougher to cut than the case! Thanks to Andrew for encouraging me to not be satisfied with less than my best effort.

Sponsors