saddle chairs?

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
ok so i thought I tweaked my back the other day in the yard so I made an appointment with the local doc in the box and after a several x rays he told my my spine was crooked as a politician = ( my lower spine is shifted off to the right. Probably from a atv wreck or martial arts and my neck is pointing forwards rather than back. then he said my hips are pointing in two different directions. I stay bent over at the desk doing jewelry work etc etc so I gotta figure out something there to bring my work higher up or my chair lower. It was suggested looking into saddle chairs. I actually had to google these things to see what he was talking about. Anyone here use one ? or have similar spine issues and remedies?

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
There was quite a discussion on this, here at the Cafe a while back.
The general consensus was if you have no need of future progeny, get one. This being due to the raised portion of the front of the seat.
I did some research on the Web and it appears that a split seat saddle chair alleviates the "Numbing of the juevos", commonly referred to as numb nuts.
The only thing that stopped me from purchasing was the $1,000 + price tag.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this is what the doc was talking about: Bambach Saddle Seat with Backrest

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As stated here before, I got a saddle chair, used it until my crotch went numb ( only an hour or so of use) and don't use it except at my sharpening station where it is only for less than five minutes at a time. Paid too much for it to just throw it away. My suggestion is to stay away from them, no matter the dr's opinion. You will be sitting in it for hours, so get the best available, and work on the cost later.

Bill

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
My understanding is that there are a couple of styles depending on whether the chair is to be used by males or females. The other thing is if the chair is to work properly and make you sit straighter the inclusion of a back rest is counter intuitive.

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I tried one briefly at Stuller and HATED it. I'd sit on an inverted mop bucket before I'd use one of those horrid things. YMMV

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
anybody ever tried one of these for engraving?: http://www.dickblick.com/products/safco-stand-alone-stool/

i used to have one, but never used it while engraving, tho occasionally for filing out checkering at a tall pedestal vise. it was actually pretty comfortable, but finally gave it away because it just wasn't getting used enough.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i tried sitting on harbor freights' version a few weeks back. good price-- around 80 bucks or so. to me. a couple milk crates and a pillow would work way better. i wasn't on it long enough to get numb ! totally uncomfortable.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I use one similar and love it. Of course, both my Harleys have over 50k on them so I may be biased. The nose doesn't rise quite as drastically on my seat as on the one pictured either. I get fidgety sitting in a regular chair too long and my legs go to sleep. I don't have that trouble on this, but I don't engrave full time either.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I first started going to my chiropractor my back was somewhat similar - kind of like a Jenga game near the end. The first three months when he was fixing all of that were not pleasant. Most of the time it felt like someone had been jabbing a garden trowel into my back and twisting it until it broke off, then jammed in what was left. Finally straightened out and is much better now.

I use what's basically an adjustable drafting stool with a back. Lets me sit the way I should - feet flat and back straight.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I found one at a garage sale for $5.00. It didn't have the rise in front the picture showed. It was more like sitting on an english saddle. I think it is great.
Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors