Engraving position

Flatsguide

Hi Folks,
I am in the process of building an engraving bench using a drill press base that I got a good deal on from Horrible Freight.
The question is; what is a comfortable angle for the forearm ? When I sit in the chair that I plan to use while engraving, and my upper arm comfortably at my side, with my forearms parallel to the floor my hands are at a very comfortable and natural position. My hands ar 28 inches from the floor. Should everything be set up so the work is about that hight? I plan on getting a Leica A60 if that matters.
Thanks for the help, Richard

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
The height you mention is almost meaningless, as you'll have to incorporate a number of adjustments in arm rests, vise height, bench height, microscope height and position, chair elevation and adjustment, and so on. All will have to be experimented with, and tweaked until such time that you have no pain and are very comfortable. You don't want to spend extended, long times at the bench, as you need to get up and stretch or walk around regardless of your comfort. There's just no easy answer to your ergonomic question, and you'll just have to go through adjustments of all sorts until you hit on the 'magic' combination.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Richard

Yes, the microscope matters.......a lot!!!

If you are getting a microscope..........then you set that up first. You want it so you lean slightly forward and your eyes are on the eye pieces. No stretching or slouching as both will kill your back/neck. A height difference of even one inch can make a big difference to your comfort levels.

Everything else falls into place below that.

Basically you use a bit of common sense and what feels comfortable. If you are uncomfortable or develop an aching back (with or without a microscope)................then make fine adjustments till it comes right for you.

It generally takes a bit of fine tuning over a period of time to get it right.

Cheers
Andrew

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many use a setup that is to high for the legs, start with the feet, which should be comfortably flat onthe floor, next. your thighs dhould be level with your knees or, the knees a bit higher than your hips.
Next, get the scope as high as possible while still comfortable.
Then, your back will be straight.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don' forget that there is also some minor height movement in the microscope itself as you focus between different zoom powers. There is always some tweeking along the way as you work and change magnifications. Don't forget to get up and walk around periodically no matter how good you feel sitting on your butt.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I just started using a microscope this year and so I have recently gone through your dilemma. I would listen to all the above advice with one thing in mind. It is better to make it too tall than too short. Easier to make it a little shorter than longer. After a few months of engraving you will start making small adjustments. I kept my drill press base and tube and made an adjustable telescoping tube for the height, and a new table. I also put brass setscrews for a lockdown on the telescoping tube and a drag adjustment for the table. The point being after engraving for a while you"ll know what you need. I have the Leica at-60 and love it. I just raise and lower the scope to refocus after repositioning my work. I also made my stand lower due to I engrave with a magna block and only engrave firearms. My work stands taller and I need my table lower about 24". I use an air assist adjustable round stool also. Between the three quickly adjustable pieces, I don"t lose much time adjusting and refocusing. Hope this helps. Check out the workbench thread for ideas. If you would like to see pics, let me know and post pics of my stand tonight after work. Good luck.

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
The great thing about using a drill press stand for your set up is the ability to make adjustments. It all starts with you though. Make sure that you are in a comfortable position FIRST [see all of the above tips] then adjust everything else to you. Look in the hints/tips section of this forum for a very detailed set of instructions on setting up your scope, bench etc. Then have fun, not pain, engraving.
Dan

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I stand over my vise when engraving,I find the scrolls come out nice and round with out any flat spots plus no back problems.Give it a try. J.J.

Flatsguide

Thanks so much for sharing your insights...putting all of the suggestions together, and having the ability to vertically adjust the equipment should get me going in the right direction. JJ, I have degenerative disc disease (too much skydiving in my youth)so standing for any length of time is not an
option, but thanks for the thought.
Richard

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As Andrew and others have noted, the microscope determines the vise height.

1.) Adjust your chair to comfortable height. 2.) Adjust scope until you're comfortable and not stretching your neck or bending over. 3.) THEN adjust the height of your vise until it's in focus under the scope.

A 0.5x objective should give you around 6" or working distance. My 0.4x on my Zeiss gives me about 8" of working distance. These distances are + or - depending on the brand of scope you have.

monk

Staff member
your body is the boss of all that you will do. ball vise must be adjustable in height. your scope has to be adjusted to suit you. your seating arrangement should also be adjustable. it may (will) take time to figure this out.having these 3 situations adjustable, eventually you will find your sweet spot. with one adjustability removed, it just becomes all the more difficult to achieve comfort.

Flatsguide

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I have a much better understanding of the factors involved. When I get every thing set up I will post some photos....See you then.
Regards Richard

monk

Staff member
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I have a much better understanding of the factors involved. When I get every thing set up I will post some photos....See you then.
Regards Richard

looking forward to seeing your setup. i always like to see how others do their work. sometimes one can learn new tricks just looking at a bench and the gadgets on them.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Even if your bench setup is close to "perfect", you will likely read a lot of old magazines in your chiropractors office over the years.

A lot will depend on how many hours you are chained to the bench...

I made a habit of getting up at regular intervals and hanging by my hands from a bar I installed in a doorway. Body weight stretches the back.

Also at least a 5 minute set of neck rotation, flexing and turning exercises.

Makes a huge difference in the amount of time you'll spend reading those old magazines...

Brian

Sponsors