Homemade Papermicarta for Scrimshaw ?

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hi I read a lot of stuff about starting with scrimshaw. My first trys i did on Elforyn and Camel bone.
Elforyn is expensive and camel bone is not nice to scrim.
I read that Paper Micarta works very well for Scrimshaw
So i tryed to find a seller. When i googled for a seller i found serval videos of knifemakers they use diy micarta. Does it works like the original micarta for scrimshaw ? Someone tryed it ?
I found it very interesting and a cheap way for practice.
Chris

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i never knew one could make the stuff. must be an interesting thing to do. with the correct resin, i guess it would be easy to try. i can see me making some with a stack of old computer invoices and epoxy ! or maybe old drawings.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know of anyone that tried paper Micarta for scrimshaw, but some of us duck call makers have made their own Micarta using fiberglass resin and paper. I used construction paper because it is thicker, takes less time and effort. But it is still be work and take a lot of time.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Back in the 80's when I was in my knifemaking phase, I purchased some linen laid paper micarta and it was known as Ivory Micarta. It worked well, and aged to a fine, mellow yellow color over time. That product seems to have disappeared from the market in recent times. Perhaps the market for fine linen based paper has disappeared.

monk

Staff member
I don't know of anyone that tried paper Micarta for scrimshaw, but some of us duck call makers have made their own Micarta using fiberglass resin and paper. I used construction paper because it is thicker, takes less time and effort. But it is still be work and take a lot of time.
fascinating. do you start with a solid block, or do you create the hole from the very start ? do you shape by hand, or on a lathe of some sort ? for some time i've thought of doing a linen or fabric -based graver handle. not sure how to go about it. maybe someday i'll get around to it.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
i will have a try in a few days to do it with construction paper hope it will work fine :)

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone tried axis deer antler for scrimshaw? I had some that would turn on the lathe that was almost solid and polished like it was ivory. It is not very large in diameter, if lucky maybe close to 1.75" but most will top out at less than 1.25".

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I thought they taught you in "Prison 101" how to cloth wrap a shank handle ? Same principal. :cool:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have a couple of small pieces of ivory type micarta around, but I understand that years ago the Westinghouse people quit making it. There are at least three bases of micarta in use, those being linen, paper, and canvas base. Generally, if a factory makes the stuff, you can make it too. But, obtaining the materials may be difficult, the exact formulae may take a long time to work out, and the cost may be horrendous. Time/temperature curves of the process have to be worked out. So, thusly, you can make it, but. . .. If Westinghouse would ever revive the stuff, I know it would sell. If they will, who knows?

monk

Staff member
Monk, I thought they taught you in "Prison 101" how to cloth wrap a shank handle ? Same principal. :cool:

not so ! the cloth added to much bulk. obviously, when you and i were cellmates you daint pay too much attention during after-hours class.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As I said earlier, the process would likely involve exacting formulae, and enormous expense. However, in small scale operation, the cost probably wouldn't be prohibitive (at least for some). Epoxy and phenolic are completely different animals, and the mention of 'asbestos' may scare some people off. But, there are three types of asbestos, and only one will give you trouble, if you smoke (I am in a class action suit). Since Westinghouse obviously has the funds way beyond that which we have, it's no wonder they made it in 4' x 8' sheets. I'm not convinced that we can't do it, and I'm still on the prowl for the patent number which will tell me more. It just might be worth the effort.

monk

Staff member
i will have a try in a few days to do it with construction paper hope it will work fine :)

i got in touch with a technician working in a factory where automotive fiberglass resin is made. he said the working time is about 7 minutes before it begins to harden. less, if the temperature is warm. he said any attempt to increase work time by reducing the amount of hardner will end in failure. nothing like a permanently sticky knife handle !

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
i got in touch with a technician working in a factory where automotive fiberglass resin is made. he said the working time is about 7 minutes before it begins to harden. less, if the temperature is warm. he said any attempt to increase work time by reducing the amount of hardner will end in failure. nothing like a permanently sticky knife handle !

I would first go to penturners forum and read everything in the casting blanks section. They have mastered creating blanks out of resins and everything under the sun. You can do it by trial and error, but why try to create a new wheel when an old one will work. http://www.penturners.org/forum/

monk

Staff member
I would first go to penturners forum and read everything in the casting blanks section. They have mastered creating blanks out of resins and everything under the sun. You can do it by trial and error, but why try to create a new wheel when an old one will work. http://www.penturners.org/forum/

thanks, catcher. i'll go there to check it out. i know there's blanks for the turners that are unbelievably beautiful .

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
Chris,

A little off the micarta topic but have you tried scrimshaw on Tagua nut material? Also known as "vegetable ivory", they may be smaller than you desire for your canvas..

Regards
Gary

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Gary,
i´m new and do my first poor steps with scrimshaw I never tryed natural materials only the camel bone.
A few days ago i made a try on elforyn again the Tiger.
The Macro lens shows a lot of dots more than the eye *g*
I didn´t do it under the microscope

I will make some sheets of mircata soon i´ve buyed an old bookmakers Press very cheap on ebay and i´ll wait for it
I will test the tagua nut in the future thanks

Attachments

• Tiger.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 63

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While we're on the subject of ivory, does anyone have an idea what an ivory piano key is worth and is there any interest in them?

Latest posts

Sponsors