Engraving 1911 Grips....well...sort of

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Recently I started making 1911 grips as a way to put my son to work and to teach him some skills. Here is a short video showing some scrolls being machine engraved into this set of grips. I realize it's not real engraving but the design process is the same and it's gun related...:)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWhmWZ7aBLY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was thinking about you the other day, wondering if you got called back to you old job or if you had found a place to transfer to? Your son do the programing on these great grips? I sure was surprised to see the checkering machined in. thought they were hand checkered. As I recall you have quit a brood of family. You could set up an entire shop, production line and all and never leave home. There certainly should be a demand for grips like your son is doing. Fred

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
interesting tool path, esp. on checkering...

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job. I've been exploring some with this as well using Artcam. A remnant of my jewelry manufacturing

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andy After watching your video I wonder if you can buy a very fine straight bit for silver inlays...Traditional ways separate the wood with a wedge type blade and use the wood spring back to hold the silver.....Making curves so nice is the real asset I would think...just a thought..

Your work is very nice and clean with good design...you should have a good market for your work..

Bob

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Bob,
Cutting with a really fine tool wouldn't be much of a challenge unless it was on a rounded surface such as this. Your cuts are only perpendicular to the surface at the crest of the radius.
Andy

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Monk,
The species is Cocobolo. I prefer it to almost any other wood because it is super dense and takes checkering so well. It is also incredibly colorful.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Andy
I use Cocobolo a little in wood working....I became concerned when reading about a lung disease from the saw dust and now use dust control.....apparently it is hard to get rid of .. What is your experience ...?

Bob

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bob,
I understand your concern. I share it. I built a pretty good collection system. Most all the dust being generated comes off the CNC router. Although I don't have it on in the video, there is a dust shoe that fits on the end of the suction hose that traps nearly everything and I am running a Wynn filter that captures better than 99% of the fine dust. My shop air is pretty clean. I wanted to use a G10 fiberglass material but I am scared to death of exposing my family to that even with the dust system. Fiberglass is forever, as is carbon fiber materials.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Andy

As you well stated, limit you exposure to foreign dust is the best idea...... But on the other hand, what ever you are exposed to and inhale will only harm you ( with in reason ) if you become sensitive to it......Case in point, I know that I have Beryllium in my lungs from working for 36 years in the Nuclear industry but I have never become sensitive to it, where as friends have died from it...

Bottom line....Take care, which I see you have a good handle on the problem....

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors