Help, please: Engravopedia is coming, maybe!

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
After recently trying the "Site Search" feature of this script I did see how inadequate and unpractical it is.
I think that if we want to help newb and other to help themselves we need to give us proper tools, a Wikipedia, Engravopedia regarding engraving techniques could be the right answer.
One person cannot do it alone, I am not looking for encouragement but for people committed to help, if so please say so, and post your comments and suggestions.
I will buy Engravopedia domain if it is available and host the site, I will not promote my own site or work.

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks JJ, and all the other who have message.

I thought a little more about it so here is what we need, please feel free to add:

- Newb; it has been some time since I was one, newb will help determine what are the most pressing question of a beginner
- Active engraver: to answer newb's question and open new door
- Eventually we will need editors to review the posts
- Eventually we will create a Youtube channel for Engraviopedia so users can more conveniently find the information they seek

I do not think we should select one technique over another, every way to proceed is good as long as it get the job done (even template, lol). What I mean is that every poster is entitle to describe its own way to do things that will be up to the reader to choose the one which is the most appropriate for him or her

I may qualify as a newb in spite of the time and money I have spent buying books, tools taking classes and some "belly over the bench" time. JohnC

In my experience two many ideas are presented as information for the beginner that really turn out to be more advanced concepts. Some of the information may be too sales orientated.
The main things a newb needs is Sharpening of a 90 degree graver. Simple is better, when I got started I got lost in the angles (Meek's book) I eventually bought a bunch of extra graver(s) and begin to sharpen them one after the other until I could pick out two or three and see the angles wore the same on all of them.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm not saying i wont lend support here. what i do say-- the information already available seems to overwhelm or otherwise go unheeded by many of the newcomers. i fully believe the ones that have fallen by the wayside weren't totally committed to learn in the first place. many of the newbies seem to want to speed things up beyond the practical. most youngsters now are quite accustomed to instant gratification. put a joystick in hand--bang ! they can fly an f-16 with no knowledge of aerodynamics. and so it goes. i may be dead wrong here, but i think this idea may just add further confusion to a person that's already in a fog concerning the art we all love. jmho.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i hear what you're saying, Monk, but perhaps Thierry & Co. will at least get the Tips Archive better organized & prioritized. not sure we'd need the whole "Engraveopedia" concept, if what already exists could be made more user-friendly. the way it is now, to the uninitiated it's like trying to fill a thimble with a firehose.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If someone volunteers to be the Tips Archive manager I would be willing to listen to your ideas for organization. I agree that it's grown to the point that some digging is required to find what you're looking for. Perhaps it could be divided into sub-forums for easier access.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Outline?

Just as a thought, a "by function" type of organization? Obviously it's not all there, but perhaps we can all build on it?

Initial Setup Plans
  • Low Cost Plans
  • Hand or Pneumatic?
  • Bench Options
  • Lighting
  • Air Compressors

Work Holding Equipment

• Engraving Blocks/Balls
  • Home-Made Blocks/Balls
  • Other holding Techniques
Engraving Equipment
  • Hand Engravers
  • Pnuematic Engravers
  • Other Engravers
  • Machine Engraving
Sharpening
  • Template Type
  • GRS/Enset Type
  • Hand Sharpening
Engraving Techniques/Instruction
  • Hammer/Chisel Techniques
  • Hand Techniques
  • Pneumatic Techniques
    • Air Tact/Palm Control Techniques
Drawing
  • Instruction
  • Examples
  • Free Templates
Design
  • Instruction
  • Examples
  • Free Templates
  • Metals
Microscope Use
  • Loupes
  • Hand Glass
  • Microscopes
    Equipment List and Reviews

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Sam: If we can get a good outline, even I could slot most posts without too much trouble and I'd be happy to do so. Bob

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I would prefer not to have to create something new and build on what already exist I just do not see how it could be done. I find the "Site Search" very unsatisfying as it search the site not specifically the "Tips Archive" "Gold inlay return over 600 results, "deep relief" over 500, "English scrolls" 1200, furthermore, as a forum is a type of dialogue, often people get distracted from the original subject. "Tips Archive" encompass only a fraction of the answer which were given on submitted question, too many tips are lost and forgotten.
We are not writing a book, which mean that we do not have to have a plan, we answer questions, each question can have several independent/contradictory answers (you can even imagine that reader would vote on them), it is not a dialogue between respondents, as it often make thing more confusing. Of course you categorize the question the way Bob A describe and add more categories as necessary, and the site is searchable.
It does not need to be done my way, suggestions and comments are more than welcome. Sam can host the new feature, it would actually be more convenient and efficient but I did read somewhere that the database and the hosting cost were getting overwhelming that why I propose to host it myself, it cost me nothing.
My last point is that we cannot complain about newb making no effort of their own if we do not give them the necessary tool to do so.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
i hear what you're saying, Monk, but perhaps Thierry & Co. will at least get the Tips Archive better organized & prioritized. not sure we'd need the whole "Engraveopedia" concept, if what already exists could be made more user-friendly. the way it is now, to the uninitiated it's like trying to fill a thimble with a firehose.

hmmm i am in full agreement with that concept. i'm not at all a software geek. i do think more (easier to find) organization in the tips section would be a blessing to newbies, if not some of us older farts.

monk

Staff member
If someone volunteers to be the Tips Archive manager I would be willing to listen to your ideas for organization. I agree that it's grown to the point that some digging is required to find what you're looking for. Perhaps it could be divided into sub-forums for easier access.

again, i sometimes have trouble navigating software. since i already lurk here at least twice daily, i'd be willing to take additional duties that were within my computer skills.
fwiw, i still don't know how to mark a posted item in RED, once i sell it.

ulrigg

I've been here for years, I just know how to use the search feature. =)

Consider making a Meta thread, with sub meta threads organized by topic. Make the high level Meta a sticky at the top of the forum, with a title like "Start Here: Meta".

Make one person responsible for maintaining each of the sub meta.

Sub Metas are really just brief descriptions, with links to existing threads, or urls to tips archive, etc. They are largely just someone using the search feature, and compiling the best threads for people to read to get their questions answered. Any feedback on additional links can be posted in the Sub Meta thread, and placed into the first post summarizing as needed.

Example:

Meta: Beginning Engraving:

Getting Started:
Hammer and Chisel:
<insert link to thread>
<more links as necessary>

Graver Resources:
<links to where to purchase already made gravers or blanks>

Sharpening:
<link to tips archives, etc.>

Engraving vises:
On a budget:
<insert countless links to home made setups>

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I've been here for years, I just know how to use the search feature. =)

Consider making a Meta thread, with sub meta threads organized by topic. Make the high level Meta a sticky at the top of the forum, with a title like "Start Here: Meta".

Make one person responsible for maintaining each of the sub meta.

Sub Metas are really just brief descriptions, with links to existing threads, or urls to tips archive, etc. They are largely just someone using the search feature, and compiling the best threads for people to read to get their questions answered. Any feedback on additional links can be posted in the Sub Meta thread, and placed into the first post summarizing as needed.

Example:

Meta: Beginning Engraving:

Getting Started:
Hammer and Chisel:
<insert link to thread>
<more links as necessary>

Graver Resources:
<links to where to purchase already made gravers or blanks>

Sharpening:
<link to tips archives, etc.>

Engraving vises:
On a budget:
<insert countless links to home made setups>

I think that your solution is both more practical and more elegant it is most likely a much better way to go. Good luck, please let me know if you need help.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had great success with the search function. I think of it of a time before the internet, a collection of articles at the library for example, you know the old days when you have to pull reference cards gather your articles read them and decide which work for you and which ones were of no use, you learned a great deal doing so. But that's just me. I just assume they would be a great deal a sub categories.

Saludos,
Carlos

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My computer skills aren't that great as much as I'd like to help.

May I suggest #8 One of the big topic headlines should include inlay as it's one of the most asked about things recently anyway. I like the idea in post #13... that shounds like it would work

Latest posts

Sponsors