Damar Varnish Flakes

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone that uses the Damar Varnish and Naptha transfer method use Damar Varnish flakes?

The flakes are a lot cheaper. The instructuons say to mix it with turpentine. I'm wondering if I would need to mix with turpentine then naptha or would the naptha be good enough.

What would be the proper ratios?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex has been inhaling the naptha again instead of just drinking it.. I recommend on the rocks with a twist

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since you can thin the liquid dammar with naphtha, the flakes should dissolve in the same. MTC
Although I prefer to be in a small confined crawl space with PVC primer and cement, much better than naphtha :beatup:

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

I wouldn't use turpentine as it is veeeeeeery slow drying and oily. It's great in oil paints and enamels............ but for transfers you need something that flashes off after.

Cheers
Andrew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Although I prefer to be in a small confined crawl space with PVC primer and cement, much better than naphtha

;-) bondo is another of my favorites. makes for a nice break in the day. always feel refreshed when i come to on the shop floor...

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I did my six months apprenticeship in finishing as a cabinetmaker that cleaning of the airless sprayer at the end of the day by blowing lacquer thinner through the gun in a fine mist made for some definite down time. Killed more than a few brain cells- Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Since you can thin the liquid dammar with naphtha, the flakes should dissolve in the same. MTC
Although I prefer to be in a small confined crawl space with PVC primer and cement, much better than naphtha :beatup:

dave: to what purpose do you put the pvc primer/cement to ?. just curious as to its use .

Latest posts

Sponsors