Polishing screws

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
not sure what others might use, but a stick with sandpaper has worked for me. work up to 2000.

after that a piece of hard leather charged with diamond spray.

polishing compound on the leather also works, but I like the diamond spray better.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I put the screw in a drill and spin it while I use the paper backed by a wood stick. A lot faster this way and you keep the screw head nicely domed. For a flat head screw hold it in a vise between two pieces of wood so it does not move and just sand it with the paper backed by that stick

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
tedlewis,Polish with block of wood with wet & dry automotive paper rapped around it and never use a buffer. J.J.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I place a towel on my leg while sitting, sandpaper on the towel. Then with screw chucked in a cordless drill I press the screw head into the sandpaper. The towel keeps my leg clean. My leg gives, conforms to the screw head, and applies even pressure to the screw head. I usually start around 220 grit. Final grit depends on you finish. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I place a towel on my leg while sitting, sandpaper on the towel. Then with screw chucked in a cordless drill I press the screw head into the sandpaper. The towel keeps my leg clean. My leg gives, conforms to the screw head, and applies even pressure to the screw head. I usually start around 220 grit. Final grit depends on you finish. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:
Very, interesting thank you all for sharing.

Saludos,
Carlos

Donny

Elite Cafe Member

So I read this... and all I can imagine is the screw tearing in to my thigh and getting lodged in my femur!!!
That would be my luck!!! :shock: I will wait for Carlos to make a video!!! If he walks away from it then I'll give it a go :)

Donny

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
depends on what the screw is for and how it will be finished. the spinning drill trick makes for wonderful sparkling reflections which can look pretty cool on a more modern piece, but out of place on traditional items.

on a north/south timed screwhead, the polish grain usually should be parallel to the slot.

if it will be nitre salt or flame blued, it should be polished to a perfect mirror finish with virtually no discernible polish marks.

in any event, one should always use a firm (but not necessarily hard) backing to maintain crisp edges on the rim & slot.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I could put any size screw in my jewelers lathe and polish them,also can weld any bugger screw slot and re-cut the slot with a jewelers saw and files in different with. J.J.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael

How do you keep from marring the threads? Tape? I would think, dont think you need much pressure.

Donny,

Don't have any need for it just now, but will when I start practicing my nickle plating. Give it a go amigo. Im about a month out, much reading to do on that subject. Just love learning new things. Means I can buy new toys.;)

Saludos,
Carlos

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to answer the original posters question. You learn to polish them through trial and error. That is how most of us learned. Throw a little common sense in and I think you will learn pretty quickly.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, just chuck it up with light pressure. They are made of steel. Haraga is right also. One needs to find the best way for them by doing after gathering a little knowledge. A couple of years ago I didn't know the first thing about guns, prep or polishing. Through a lot of research and trial and error I'm getting to where I want to be with my prep. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors