gold wire inlay .014

I have about 100 hours of instruction and maybe another 100 hours of bench time.

Recently I bought 36 inches of 24k wire that measures .014 has any one ever inlay-ed such a small gold wire?

I sure could use some guidance. I'd like to ponder the process before I try it.

How about some skillful advice for a rooky. Credit where credit is due. Specific guidance guidance is what I need. width, depth, undercut that will work with .014 wire. I promise a $50.00 gift card to the seasoned veteran who gives me guidance that works for me. Even seasoned rookies can help me. The best advise I can understand and use is worthy of the $50.00 GIFT CARD. An honorable mention to all who help me think about the process of this new skill.

I'd like to be a fairly skillful engraver by the time I retire. 03/2018 BY MY CLOCK. Retirement is when I want to ply my my new trade.

John Cantrell NRA Endowment member

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
It depends on what you wish to do with the inlay...flush border lines...raised border lines...raised animal or other item inlays. I use .016 wire for most all of the raised gold animal inlays that I do. Smaller for borders. Have used wire in the .004" range for some lettering and whisker type detail.

More info from you on yours types of inlay you wish to do would help who ever gives advice.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I use .26 mm wire (.010) for all my flat inlay (not line, animal or portrait). I did a video that you might consider watching at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLH3gyddjEI. I do not think that there is specific guidance for that size of wire, make sure that your undercut is sharp, anneal your gold.
If your purpose is to try, use the same size pure silver wire, it will give you some feeling for the technique at a lower price (you anneal silver too)

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John- don't worry about offering inducements, your request falls well within the bounds of reasonable rookie inquiries. ;-) as Sam & Thierry have said, 0.014"D wire is no big deal, that and finer is practically SOP for most border work, and most of us have done a lot smaller. way back when i was killing myself to prove something, i did some probably <.003". it was more work than it was worth.

the good news is that with .014", pretty much any sound technique will work just fine and the Tip Archives are chock full of good advice in this area. with experience you'll learn some ways work better (meaning faster) for straight(er) lines, while tighter curves will require a bit more finesse. have fun!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
only 50 bucks ?? good luck with that ! actually the forum does not allow for such. and besides. all you got to do is start reading the tip section. for newbies , it's free.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have used .005 wire a lot of times. I learned a lot from SAM'S video on inlay. you can purchase it on the FEGA web site.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Terry
That is a great video. I do have one question. What type of tool are you using to stipple the background of the inlay recess? Is it a pointed punch or something else? Thanks

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Terry
That is a great video. I do have one question. What type of tool are you using to stipple the background of the inlay recess? Is it a pointed punch or something else? Thanks

I use the same tool that the one I use for background stippling on a deep relief. It is a sharp (carbide) single point tool, of course it does break so I just re-sharpen it to a point, if you have a very hard surface you make the point a little more obtuse on a softer metal a little sharper (please do not ask about geometry, I do not know what is the angle).
Enjoy!

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
only 50 bucks ?? good luck with that ! actually the forum does not allow for such. and besides. all you got to do is start reading the tip section. for newbies , it's free.

Maybe you can explain how is one suppose to be finding result in the tips section, I tried with "Gold inlay" as a search it gave so many result that it is almost useless, actually this script does not seems to distinguish between "Hand Engraving forum" and "Tips archive". Mitch in "a somewhat disturbing trend..." thread was complaining about the behavior of some users, having try to use the search feature I understand why the same question are ask endlessly when a search as narrow as "Gold inlay" give so many result.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe someone didn't read the note to not use the forum search in the top right.If you insert ".014 wire inlay" into the Search Site button at the top of the forum page,you get more specific answers.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
You are right, I made a mistake, only 26 entries with ".014 wire inlay.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch in "a somewhat disturbing trend..." thread was complaining about the behavior of some users, having try to use the search feature I understand why the same question are ask endlessly when a search as narrow as "Gold inlay" give so many result.

at the risk of reopening a contentious issue, i was only trying to ENcourage newbies to make a reasonable independent effort to research a question first, instead of just starting right off with asking "How do I ____?", expecting someone to spoonfeed them the desired knowledge. i did NOT intend to DIScourage anyone from seeking help. one positive(?) result of that thread was calling attention to the fact that the Tips Archive has grown into a daunting avalanche of information. perhaps someone has suggestions how to better cross-reference that resource or otherwise make it more user-friendly...

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
at the risk of reopening a contentious issue, i was only trying to ENcourage newbies to make a reasonable independent effort to research a question first, instead of just starting right off with asking "How do I ____?", expecting someone to spoonfeed them the desired knowledge. i did NOT intend to DIScourage anyone from seeking help. one positive(?) result of that thread was calling attention to the fact that the Tips Archive has grown into a daunting avalanche of information. perhaps someone has suggestions how to better cross-reference that resource or otherwise make it more user-friendly...

Actually it could be done by subject, like with do in school.
- Scrolls and their different variation
- Deep relief
- Lettering
- etc

The advantage of this type of categorization is that one more category can always been add. A directory type script, or article script would be the most efficient way to handle this. It could also be like a Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest and replys.

My computer skills should be good, but seem marginal at times. (like when I try to type in a forum, I get tripped up reply to thread or reply to each post. And then there is the I just typed it and thought I submitted it but never seen it again.

Anyway;)
To TOS: I'd guess for now learning to do a flush border lines would be a good start. Later I can add to my skills with other inlays. Once I get the hang of the process I expect I'll inlay the main lines of scrolls cut into silver dimes for necklaces or earrings for my daughters and granddaughters. My ultimate goal is to engrave my own guns (stainless Rossi R92s) If get skilled enough, I have a couple of Winchester 94 trappers I might do for some of the sons and grandsons.

To Thierry Duguet thanks for the video. My questions sound like an analytical learner but it seems my real learning style is visual. One question is how did you add the gold colored laser for focus.

To Mitch Moschetti after years of 5/8" chisel and 4# mall use removing old riveted ball joints .014 seem real small. I'll know I am getting the swing of things when .014 seem like "no big deal"

To Monk: A workman is worthy of his wages, the gift card can be thought of as my way of saying thanks. Dinner with the wife or lunch with the boys is more in line with my thanks. Right now I am still working and may not be as able to make such an offer after I retire 03/2018

to Dan M with many years of Fleet Maintenance experience I've learned it is hard to fix a problem that can't be explained. As a result, my questions get a little too specific at times, just ask the boys I work with. Sorry..

A special thanks to every one who took interest in the subject.
JohnC

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
My computer skills should be good, but seem marginal at times. (like when I try to type in a forum, I get tripped up reply to thread or reply to each post. And then there is the I just typed it and thought I submitted it but never seen it again.

Anyway;)
To TOS: I'd guess for now learning to do a flush border lines would be a good start. Later I can add to my skills with other inlays. Once I get the hang of the process I expect I'll inlay the main lines of scrolls cut into silver dimes for necklaces or earrings for my daughters and granddaughters. My ultimate goal is to engrave my own guns (stainless Rossi R92s) If get skilled enough, I have a couple of Winchester 94 trappers I might do for some of the sons and grandsons.

To Thierry Duguet thanks for the video. My questions sound like an analytical learner but it seems my real learning style is visual. One question is how did you add the gold colored laser for focus.

To Mitch Moschetti after years of 5/8" chisel and 4# mall use removing old riveted ball joints .014 seem real small. I'll know I am getting the swing of things when .014 seem like "no big deal"

To Monk: A workman is worthy of his wages, the gift card can be thought of as my way of saying thanks. Dinner with the wife or lunch with the boys is more in line with my thanks. Right now I am still working and may not be as able to make such an offer after I retire 03/2018

to Dan M with many years of Fleet Maintenance experience I've learned it is hard to fix a problem that can't be explained. As a result, my questions get a little too specific at times, just ask the boys I work with. Sorry..

A special thanks to every one who took interest in the subject.
JohnC

- The script time out very fast, better copy your posting before submitting as you may be logged out when you are ready to post, in that case just log in again and paste
- Hummmm, my video are very long most show with some details what I do and how I do it. It is not my intention to insult you in anyway or to question your commitment but if you want to understand the process you have to take the time to look at the video, had you done that you would have seen that I did not "color" the gold or use any type of laser, I shade the gold, I use two techniques dotes and lines to create volume and detail the animal.
As I was saying I do not question your commitment but I question the way you are going about it, you cannot look at the first thirty second and at the last thirty second of the video and then ask me what I did in between. I might be willing to help you must willing to take the time to learn, if not engraving is not for you.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To Mitch Moschetti after years of 5/8" chisel and 4# mall use removing old riveted ball joints .014 seem real small. I'll know I am getting the swing of things when .014 seem like "no big deal" JohnC

yeah, there will definitely be some readjustment to a slightly smaller scale. on the other hand, you wouldn't have to look far in this trade to find plenty of 'engravers' whose work would probably be more delicate and refined if they were using 4 lb'er and a 5/8" chisel...

:rolleyes:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I suggest you get in touch with Ed Kane who does work for Tiffany's and lives in the state of N.Y.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry, great video on both your inlay method and you finishing with several important tips. The shading sections where also excellent, Appreciate you taking the time to produce. I learned a lot-Fred

Hi Thierry:

You are right about the timing, When I typed the last post I copied it before sending it, yes I was timed out and had to log in again and past the copy to finish the job. I have watched your video in it's entirety I'd watch it again, several times on my screen I saw what appeared to be a yellow laser pointer. Light can be distorted, so maybe I was seeing a reflect of the gold work you were doing.

As far as my commitment; It is true that during the last 20 years my work priority outweighed my hobby priority. Reading about and looking at engraving was my way of keeping interested. Over the years, my interest was further developed by commissioning eight different hand engravings to my personal firearms. One Winchester Factory Custom Shop Engraved, One Winchester FEGA member Jim Wark Engraved , One Winchester ACGG member Joe Seeley Engraved, One Studio of Art and Decoration Studio Heidi Roos Engraved Ruger, One American Engraver Robert Kain Engraved RCA Ruger and Steve Clouser of Sundance Engraving did two Rugers in 1994 & 1995. Leo Bala of Remington Custom Shop engraved a folding pocked knife in 1995. I have paid my dues building a collection of study pieces and my library most of which bought new and most of which with well worn covers. The last few years have been tooling up and taking three "vacation engraving classes".

It could be that my order of priorities could have been better, but I am now at a place when I can take the time and to do the work. Belly over the bench is only way for me to become skillfull at what I have prepped and studied for.

Hi again Thierry:

After reading more about you and your work, Something I need to speak to. I saw that you were Belgian trained, this reminded me to the many discussions I have had with my father-in-law over the last 40 years. He and his family immigrated to Canada in the 1950's and to the USA in the 1960's. He is very Dutch, still is! During the first ten years of marriage to his daughter I was treated as though I had married out side of his class.
Your first remarks about my commitment sounded a little like Anton's. Having learned from one of my newest books you no longer live across the pond, my first reaction has been tempered. "You and my father-in-law are a lot a like" as far as getting your point across is concerned. Now that I have have been married to his daughter for more than 40 years I now feel part of the family.

Having learned about southern-boys since you have be a Virginia-man I hope you understand the southern nature. God has made us all equal, and our resolve, determination and commitment is what stands out at the end of the day. Based on the workmanship I've see in "American Engravers III" your skills are far beyond my expectations for now. All I really want t do is to fill a straight line with gold. The end result for now is to do a credible job of inlaying a straight line. What my aspirations " to do the kind of work You have already done" later are yet to be determined. They will be determined as my skill increases. I just like to keep my options open and develop the skills with will make all things possible.

JohnC

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors