vaquero

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
had a change of pace from the mostly coin and knife engraving I usually have.

thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF1950.jpg
    DSCF1950.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 617
  • DSCF1939.jpg
    DSCF1939.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 615
  • DSCF19462.jpg
    DSCF19462.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 615

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
thanks guys!

bert...... I did some sketches for barrel, and back strap. he didn't want anything on the back strap. he said the barrel was "crush fit" and would create issues trying to remove it and would need to go back to factory to even have it done.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The customer's always right, but unless Ruger has changed the way they install barrels, they come off and go on just like anyone else's. You can also engrave barrels without taking them off, but I suspect the main reason not to engrave the barrel is increased cost of the project! IMHO!!!

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Removing the barrel of my Vaquero was no problem. Ruger certainly stamps a lot of verbiage on the side of those barrels. The steel on the grip is a little weird and unpredictable on mine, but cuts well enough if you sharpen often,

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
The customer's always right, but unless Ruger has changed the way they install barrels, they come off and go on just like anyone else's. You can also engrave barrels without taking them off, but I suspect the main reason not to engrave the barrel is increased cost of the project! IMHO!!!

yes cost was a limiting factor.
I don't get too many gun engraving projects, and will not try messing with the barrels myself.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Removing the barrel of my Vaquero was no problem. Ruger certainly stamps a lot of verbiage on the side of those barrels. The steel on the grip is a little weird and unpredictable on mine, but cuts well enough if you sharpen often,

I kept tweeking the graver geometry and eventually came up with something that didn't involve resharpening every few min.
c-max 105
55 face
15 heel
dub tip
on the face angle id freehand roll it back and forth about 5-10 degrees before dubbing the tip. it seemed to make a noticeable difference.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
I kept tweeking the graver geometry and eventually came up with something that didn't involve resharpening every few min.
c-max 105
55 face
15 heel
dub tip
on the face angle id freehand roll it back and forth about 5-10 degrees before dubbing the tip. it seemed to make a noticeable difference.

Don't you think a 120 degree would be much stronger tip than a 105 since it's wider?

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Don't you think a 120 degree would be much stronger tip than a 105 since it's wider?

I do have 120s and a couple 110s too, but am faster with resharpening the 105. along with being a stronger tip.... the 120 is a wider tip that's pushing more metal too. I use them more when a shallower wide cut is preferred.