Reflections on the Past. My 1000th POST.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just noticed that my last post was numbered 999! So I figured a little thought should go into my 1000th as a means of celebration. (Not that I haven't put any thought into any of the prior 999.) I consider myself a "Charter Member" (or Plank Owner, for all you ex Navy guys like me) of this Forum. I joined the first week it opened in Nov., 2006. It didn't take very long before we had over a hundred "big name" engravers joining in the conversations. I was truly a "fresh caught" at this time, having started engraving only about 5 months before the Café was formed. I devoured everything that was posted and I began to improve my skills. The members guided me through my early equipment choices and kept me from many a pitfall. Through the Forum I learned of FEGA and after reading all the great comments about the 2007 convention in Reno, I decided to go to the following year's meeting. It was a decision I've never regretted. While at the convention I finally got to meet many of the Forum members that I had admired, and they were as gracious as I had hoped! I learned more during that convention than I had learned the prior year.

As to my continuing education, I had started, as most of us did, with Meeks book. Then came a couple more books, and some DVDs. Every new lesson spawned two more paths to be explored. And new questions would arise. That is where this Forum really came into it's own. No matter how many books and DVDs that I have now, this Forum has been the MOST VALUABLE LEARNING SOURCE that I have ever found.

The Forum has not only given all of us more engraving knowledge, but I venture to say, without it there would be far fewer up and coming engravers today. The daily encouragement is a real boost for beginners during the frustrating early days. When professionals from literally around the world can see your work and help you over the humps, then you tend to see the true value in continuing.

So here is a rather broad statement, but I truly believe it to be true. Without this, our Engraver's Café Forum there would be fewer engravers, fewer new engraving tools and technology, fewer FEGA members, fewer informal meets like Scott's amazing Engrave-In, fewer customers, and for sure, fewer intercontinental friendships formed.

So what does this all add up to? We cannot ever fully thank Sam and Abigail enough for this opportunity to share. Their faith in starting such a project so many years ago, hoping for a few hundred members, has become a site with over 10,000 members and over 23 MILLION page views! All I can say, on this my 1000th posting, is we are all very lucky to have this little oasis to visit during the day to learn, let off steam, pi$$ off a few people (gently of course), laugh, and most of all just enjoy each other's company...no matter how far apart we are physically.

Thank you again to Sam and Abigail!!!!

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ditto, dotto, ditto, my friend. hangin out in this place has become a way of life for me. also a valued resource for new ideas, techniques, and such. this forum has enabled me to add many friends over the years. friends that i likely would never have known-- except for the forum. glad to hear you hit a grand ! i'll quit when i hit 10k !!

wdale.bass

I'll certaintly 2nd that,Mark, the Cafe has given a lot of us avenues of knowledge that just keeps expanding. Yes Sir, a BIG Thanks to Sam(and Abby) for all the hard work & dedication to share, when their success doesn't depend on sharing but a love of the art & a desire to see it flourish.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark, your contributions make the Cafe what it is, and you're a hell of a craftsman. It's a pleasure and honor to have you in our ranks!!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to agree, and thank you for posting that Mark.

This place is beyond any measure of value, as are the folk on here who share their knowledge, time, and characters. Thank you Sam and Abigail for bringing this little world of engravers together.

Latest posts

Sponsors