Latest Duck

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jon,Blue the gun parts with hot or slow rust blue and strip with Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner afer that scrub the parts with Arm & Hammer pure baking soda I've used it many time with out any problems. J.J.

Last edited:

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Jon,Blue the gun parts with hot or slow rust blue and strip with Lysol Power toilet bowl cleaner afer that scrub the parts with Arm & Hammer pure baking soda I've used it many time with out any problems. J.J.
JJ,

How long should I wait before using the baking soda? If I wait longer does it develop a richer gray or will it be the same no matter what?

Thanks in advance.

Neisha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Neiha,You can scrub the baking soda on the parts right after you strip the parts with the Lysol. J.J.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
A good solution for graying is the stuff one use for car restoration, it is a pickling solution which lightly etch the metal but also create and iron oxide. As to why, that type of engraving is fragile as much as possible I avoid rubbing with anything harsh, even 0000 steel-wood. to clean/stop the reaction I just use running water and soap, after rinsing, profusely I dry with compress air, then I spray with water displacing oil and I spray again to remove the excess oil.
You can also hot blue the part then use blue remover then water and soap, etc. Often during rust bluing the gunsmith will use some type of brush between coat that is why I avoid this finish but gray from hot blue is very fragile and not very protective that is why I use the first solution describe above.