Latest Duck

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
[/URL][/IMG]

My current project I am working on more ducks.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice! It looks like it's mostly lines, but some areas look dotted. No matter, really well done. Just put that at the front of your boat and you won't need a duck call!

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice ZZ, looking tasty
Dang I phone rotation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 464

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
duck looks good snuff to eat ! it also has an ornery look to it. sort of like it's about to play a trick on somebody.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Many years ago I did a Falcon coming down on a duck, wish I had a photo but it was before phones with cameras. Thanks for the interest. ZZ

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I think that it is, overall, good looking duck but (there is always one)
1) An animal is not black and white, I think that the duck is too contrasted, not enough gray, white to light gray to dark gray to black, would give more modeler, more volume to the animal.
2) Having an even cut edge around the animal is unnecessary, some peripheral cuts should be imply. When you look at an animal in nature it is not a black and white silhouette, some parts are going to be indistinguishable from there surrounding
3) All feather, family, are shade the same way.
4) The hard cut of the feather overwhelm the shading, once again some line are imply.
5) Even so the drawing of the duck is very realistic, it look flat.

I hope you were getting tired of unrestricted compliment about your work, LOL. I think that even if compliments are good for one's ego it does not help one improve one's work, only constructive criticism do so, I hope you will see mine as such.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, I do very much appreciate your comments, This gun will be blued and I have found if I don't cut the outline and feathers in such a way that the image tends to get lost. I have also found that I have to make things deeper or darker when this finishing process is done and haven't found a way that I can get the different tones of light and dark and not have the image get lost or faded out when the gun is blued.
I have been experimenting with the whole thing but any input good or bad is always welcome. Thanks ZZ

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I understand the bluing problem, as I did experience it too, so I stop bluing, lol, I encourage my clients to use other form of finish such as french gray (chemical) or metalife (plating), note that metal life is just a few microns thick and penetrate the pores of the metal so it does not roundup the cut, and keep even light engraving sharp.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, on the feather shading are you suggesting I do them all the same are do differnt to break things up? Also this metal life finishing who does it? Thanks Jon

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
ROFL, Terry !
Just last night I was studying Turpin's book and this one engraver's duck had that heavy outline that just reached out and smacked you.
And no, it wasn't your duck, as your scene was HEAVILY inlaid with 24kt.
Just funny that you brought it up today as that duck, in the book, haunts me.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, on the feather shading are you suggesting I do them all the same are do differnt to break things up? Also this metal life finishing who does it? Thanks Jon

You can find more information about Metalife here: http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/. As for the feather, they curve outward when the wing go down, you can try to use the shading of the most outer feather to translate that shape as the curve go down the wing. where the feather are the longest they are more flexible, they curve more (more reflection in the middle of the feather) as the feather get shorter they are stiffer less reflection in the middle. I like/use a longitudinal shading, of course that is not the way a feather is build but that the way one sees it.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Thierry, I will try to utilize this on the next project. and Thanks to all on the metal life info. ZZ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors