GRS Featured Photos curiosity...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I clicked thru one of the GRS ads here on the Cafe and was doing some idle surfing thru the "Today's Featured Photos" archive, back in the early years, mostly 2007, and couldn't help noticing something curious: Quite a few of the photos are now attributed to "Professional Engraver" or marked as "Uncredited". WTH?

one would reasonably assume GRS certainly knew who did the work at the time, but for some reason are no longer willing to give credit where it's due? if there's been some sort of personal or professional parting of the ways, wouldn't the clearly more ethical course of action be to just delete those photos? i don't recognize a lot of the work, but a few look like Chris DeCamillis. i sent him an email, but haven't heard back yet.

anybody else noticed this? :thinking:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch,

Sorry I didn't get back to you by email but I have been busy I finally had a chance to go to the archives and yes many of those that say professional engraver or uncredited are things I did. Not all but most of them. Wow! It was shocking to see this. I remember that at one time they all had my name on them. Even The one of the study plate for my first bulino video in the 2009 feature photos doesn't have my name on it.

I couldn't agree more with what you said if they have a problem with me then just don't use them at all. It seems they are important enough to keep them in there archives but to not give credit when they know who did the work is to me unethical at the least.It seems rather childish to me. If anything I guess it reflect badly on them.

It would be interesting to hear what others think,although many may not want to say anything fearing they might have there names pulled or there pictures not posted.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am going to step up to the plate and refrain from any purchasing anything from there until this is straightened out. It's unacceptable.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I would hold off judgement until you know why this happened. In the programming world this can easily happen with a corrupted database. You can relational tables, one for the photos, one for the story, and one for the author or creator. They are linked together by some type of identity field. If one gets corrupted, some of the information can be lost. The link between the photo and author, or photo and story can be lost. This can happen if this database is not properly maintained.

I am not say that this is what happened, but it is a possibility. It could be that GRS does not even know of the issue, or has not had time to fix the issue and restore the links. Or it could be that they did this themselves, knowingly. I just don't know.

I do hope that this does get fixed, and proper credit is restored.

Mike

ahenson

Thanks, guys! We have over 1000 articles in the database, and those should be fixed now. If you see any others, let me know. :) :)

Sponsors