Scrimshaw: The Search for Ivory Alternatives

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Im very afraid the uninformed and ignorant may win the ivory battle. Almost as troubling is the fact that they are so misinformed/misguided they are trying to ban Mammoth and all other non endangered ivories along with elephant. This has made me decide that its probably prudent to start trying scrimshaw on all the legal ivory alternatives I can find. Please feel free to chime in if you have any experience with scrimming on any ivory imitations I have or have not mentioned. I've seen some impressive scrims on mother of pearl but don’t really consider it an alternative for ivory.

Buffalo Horn (black); It works and I've seen some stunning stuff done with this material but it has the limitations of white on black.

Cow horn (white); Powder horns have been line scrimmed for over a 100 years but for fine detailed stipple scrim it more often than not gets blotchy and randomly absorbs ink. I really like this material and wish it worked better.

Micarta; Hit and miss for me, some is okay and some absorbs ink all over the place and gets blotchy looking. I've even had some soften up with the repeated wetting/wiping off of the ink.

Bone; From camel to cow its porous and ink goes into places I don't want it to. For heavy lined rougher scrim fine, for fine detailed stipple scrim not so much.

Antler; Similar to bone in the results

Plastic spoons; Really? Lol

Corian; Fairly good results, it comes in almost any color/shade, cuts and polishes like a dream and is cheap but it still looks like plastic. TIP; Don’t wax it ever, wax seems to smear the surface of corian making it look blotchy. Each time you apply ink do it at least twice and speaking of ink, corian resists some ink (like Higgins Black Magic) I’ve gotten decent results with Bombay black but haven’t tried any others.

Elforyn; Pricey stuff, smells like coconut when you cut/sand it. It has the right color and feel but is very soft compared to ivory when stippling and for some reason it is a real bugger to wipe the ink off of it (Higgens Black Magic). Is extremely hard to get any kind of polish on this stuff, in fact its finish is so matte its hard to see your dots under a microscope. Is somewhat difficult to get deep blacks with the two inks I tried. In the end I did pull off scrimming on it but can't give it my vote for a substitute.

col.849/TM; Approved by the royal family and several big name museums as an ivory replacement/alternative. Has the right color and the color mix to simulate ivory grain is fairly decent. Very similar to corian but a bit more…. elastic under the scribe. Does not chip like corian tends to when poked with a scribe. Smells like a mixture of citrus and deep woods off when cut/sanded. Is somewhat difficult to get deep blacks with the two inks I tried. The craters created from stippling do make some shiny spots though:( Is almost as acceptable as corian for workability with the bonus of looking kinda like ivory. I think it ties with corian.

Tagua Nut; It has a cell structure on the surface under the scope. All those little divots want to hold ink and leave a muddled look. The nut I had was about 8 years old, maybe the newer ones are better. I’ve see scrim on them that looked fairly good but for fine detail scrim I think they aren’t very well suited. That and you are limited by the size of the nut.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What about bone, or antler, or Tagua that has been stabilized w epoxy or something?
Just a thought, I don't scrim, haven't tried to stabilize anything.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I do NOT know if it'd work, or not, but if someone could obtain a nice supply of this newly 'crushed' ivory (which has been rendered useless, and, therefore is no longer 'ivory') and pulverized/powdered it, the possibility exists that it could be mixed with some hi-tech adhesive and maybe formed under heat/pressure into a form, or sheet. Since it would contain an adhesive, of some sort, it would no longer be good for the original use intended. The 'witch's brew' aspect would be gone. It might be worthwhile to pursue in getting some of the 'useless' ivory?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've fiddled with micarta, and bone a bit. just enough to say "i did it". this piece is the first i ever did. it was a chunk of laminated linen, and had a layer of brown plastic in it. it was originally for knife scales. this was done with the gravermeister. i robbed the design from a magazine dwg. i fiddled with the color till it's fairly close to the piece. not a good example of scrim, but does show an interesting look to the material.

Attachments

• scrim.JPG
    scrim.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 236

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do NOT know if it'd work, or not, but if someone could obtain a nice supply of this newly 'crushed' ivory (which has been rendered useless, and, therefore is no longer 'ivory') and pulverized/powdered it, the possibility exists that it could be mixed with some hi-tech adhesive and maybe formed under heat/pressure into a form, or sheet. Since it would contain an adhesive, of some sort, it would no longer be good for the original use intended. The 'witch's brew' aspect would be gone. It might be worthwhile to pursue in getting some of the 'useless' ivory?
I think its been done, search for bonded Ivory

Saludos,
Carlos

Skylineski

i have used Por-A-cast Mark II (two part epoxy) this stuff sets fast and gets hot. not sure how it compares to real ivory though i am just getting into engraving. I used it for an ivory look inlay in a gun stock. not sure how to add a pic or i would show you how that came out. you can PM me and i think i can send one that way or e-mail. not sure if this will help. If you do find something that works well let us know.

Doug

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
Walrus ivory may work well. Whales teeth? I don't believe mammoth ivory will end up illegal too as its fossilized and doesn't have any affect on live animals.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is no substitute.
We need to support the organizations fighting the ban.
The fact is, like everything else in this world, elephants need to be respected as an economic resource if they are to survive.
To the people living near them, they simply are giant, dangerous problems, ten ton rats that raid the corn crib.
If elephants are going to coexist with the people around them, these people need to view them as an economic resource.
Not simply a commercially banned dangerous animal.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I have had some good results with cow horn but one must play with the different densities of cow horn to get the best result. The white "scrim" grade horn will absorb more ink and may bleed out since it is very soft whereas a denser piece of amber color will not bleed as much but doesn't have a good color for contrast. Buffalo horn has been engraved but very rarely in a historical manner but white was not used that I am aware but a red pigment such as a catlinite paint. There is an example of a buffalo horn engraved that is a known horn done for Ft. Pitt in the F&I period around 1760 and the cuts were filled with this red pigment. Not a true red as most would assume but a light burgundy color as is seen with catlinite. Ivory is the superior material for dot work.
I concur with Barry's statement.
Mark

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Did try scratching some of my castings long ago. Just tried it again a minute ago. Too soft & chips don't come clear...

B.

The resin's hardness can be adjusted by adding or subtracting some of the hardener that is used. If want to try this route there are 3 sources I would play with, one is made by Reynolds Manufacturing, brand name Smooth-On. The other is Alumilite, I have used both to make duck call barrels and inserts. The last one is Simlar 41, it is the most popular resin that penturners are use to cast blanks. If you decide on this route, I would recommend spending some time reading the "Casting section" on the International Association of Penturner's forum. These guys have perfected it and know what works and doesn't work. They also will and can answer more questions than you can dream up.

There is a faux ivory seller on eBay that makes all kinds of shapes to order as they are sold. I used some of his blanks for game calls, not knowing what real ivory works like I cannot tell you if it the same, better or worse. For less than $20 it might be a place the best place to start. http://stores.ebay.com/Arizona-Poly-Products-and-Graphics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563