Italian marble sculpture- Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa, Italy

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Wow!! that just blows my mind!! that is amazing work, out of those photos I still think Father Damen look the best though, :thumbsup: :clapping: thank you for explaining the process, very much appreciated,

Richard.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Badaracco-Moreno-1878.jpg

Ornatiste were the carvers who specialized in fine ornamental detail, like lace, flowers, and scrollwork. The Paniste specialized in carving drapery, and could spend a decade or more just learning all the ways to make stone look like real cloth. Scultore carved faces and hands.

They all came together to realize projects like Giacomo Moreno's 1878 memorial to Giuseppe Badaracco, in the Porticato Sud at Staglieno Cemetery, Italy. Masterful drapery and lace, and deep naturalistic expression to the face and pose of Giuseppe's widow.

Scrollwork is difficult enough, but think about making it stay properly aligned as it wraps around the folds of the cloth.

Last edited:

Gargoyle

And this is one of the thousands of smaller memorials and carvings... wouldn't be bad as an engraved broach, or perhaps modelled in wax and cast in silver.

ornato-wreath.jpg

Gargoyle

Here's another mind blower. Caterina Campodonico sold peanuts and cakes on the streets of Genoa, and saved up her coins to be able to commission this sculpture, created by Lorenzo Orengo in 1881. He completed the work while she was still alive to see it. This sculpture is a demonstration of the democratization of Italian society in the late 1800's. While it remained a very structured and hierarchical society, for one of the first times in history even the poorest could stand up with dignity and look the rich and powerful in the eye, taking pride in what they made of themselves irregardless of the circumstances of their birth.

Campodonico.jpg

I'm posting occasional pix here, but I'm posting new ones every day on FB. If you're there, please "like" the page to see lots more of these masterpieces; and if you have a wealthy client who loves art, tell them how they can help save these for future generations, and sponsor a restoration.
https://www.facebook.com/StaglienoSculpture

Gargoyle

And for Valentines day, another carving that would translate directly into engraving. I like the clear open space (negative space) defining the vines and flowers.

bird-roses.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Truly amazing work, Walter. Thank you for updating this thread.

As far as the ornamental work goes, all one has to do is spend a little time studying it to realize how much today's artists don't know compared to masters hundreds of years ago. It's mind boggling.

Gargoyle

This is from one of the smaller columbarium niches at Staglieno; most visitors overlook these, but many of them have superb carving. I especially like the lively naturalistic scroll work.
If you're on Facebook please "like" our page at https://www.facebook.com/StaglienoSculpture/ where I'm posting new photos every day. And, by the way, the wonderful sculpture of Caterina Campodonico, three posts above this one, is one of those we are planning to have restored this year.

104-remaggi-1907 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
Liked and shared.. And donation made. I believe one of the best things about learning something new (in my case, engraving) is all the peripheral knowledge you obtain in the process... Learning of these sculptures and your efforts to restore them is a great example of that!

Gargoyle

Liked and shared.. And donation made. I believe one of the best things about learning something new (in my case, engraving) is all the peripheral knowledge you obtain in the process... Learning of these sculptures and your efforts to restore them is a great example of that!
Thank you! The donation will be put to good use. We are planning to sponsor restoration of between five and seven sculptures this year, depending on how the fundraising goes. I'm getting ready to put the work out to bid among the best of the sculpture restorers in that part of Italy.

These column capitals are from the 1899 Bonifacio tomb, sculpted by Gaetano Olivari. Chopped out of solid chunks of marble, so Sam, you should do the same with a chunk of steel. Could make for a nice comfy handle for a revolver. :)

280-Bonifacio-Olivari_(9)-Caps.jpg

280-Bonifacio-Olivari_(5).jpg

280-Bonifacio-Olivari_(4).jpg

Gargoyle

17-Debarbieri-Brizzolara (11).jpg

We've sponsored restoration of five sculptures to date with two more underway. We're hoping to start on this 1918 Art Nouveau Masterpiece in January, and so I've launched a crowdfunding campaign today. Imagine how stunning this 16 foot tall relief sculpture will be once it is cleaned!
http://donate.staglieno.com

A donor has promised matching funds, so all donations, no matter how small, will be doubled.

Campodonico-cleaning_social-media.jpg
Art restorer at work earlier this month on the Caterina Campodonico memorial.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
gargoyle: i'm still amaed as ever, looking at these works. i wish you and your organization the best of luck in reaching the goals that have been set.

Gargoyle

Our restoration of the Chiarella DeKatt sculpture is coming along beautifully. This 1880 sculpture by Domenico Carli was covered with a dense layer of dirt and black crust, which was retaining moisture and attacking the surface of the marble. She is being cleaned with a combination of laser cleaning and application of a gel with mild solvents. This penatrate the pores of the marble, and, when removed after 20 minutes, lifts off the dirt. These are very delicate methods with no adverse effect on the marble.

We are almost half way to our fundraising goal. Will you help us restore more of these beautiful art works at Staglieno Cemetery in Genoa, Italy? Visit http://donate.staglieno.com/ to learn more.

Chiarella-half-half.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Walter I recently watched a special on some of the stone works in the Hermitage. Unbelievable, The rope netting over the fisher of men carved each piece of rope and each netters knot looked as though you could help in lifting the net from his shoulders. all complexly in the round or the r=creation. Another was a veiled women so finely worked that the veil was translucent and you could see the beautiful face of the of woman behind. absolutely fantastic. Sculpting stone is one of the highest of all art forms. Thank you for your presentation of your fabulous efforts in creating your own works and in saving the work of others. Fred

Gargoyle

As we near the end of the year, please consider supporting our restoration work. As the world becomes more technological, it's important to pass on to future generations these incredible examples of what people could accomplish with creativity, skill, a block of stone and simple iron hammers and steel chisels. All donations are tax deductible under U.S. tax code, and through the end of the year all donations are doubled thanks to the generous support of the Richard H. Driehaus Charitable Lead Trust.
http://donate.staglieno.com/

Even the smallest gift will have a great impact.

pastorino-navone-hands.jpg

By the way, how did the carvers get a chisel between the fingers and coins to carve inside the palm of this angel's hand???

Navone-Pastorini-full.JPG

Sponsors