Critique Request Critique Danae's designs?

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did the top artwork trying to draw something I don't usually do... a little different anyway.

And the bottom one is for a customer. Does anyone see major problems with the design... anything you do or do not like?

Third design on the bolster is for a customer who just wanted scrollwork... this is a tricky space to fill... not sure if I have done the knife justice with this design

Thanks for your time

Danae

Attachments

• 20150623_112550.jpg
    20150623_112550.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 574
  • 20150623_121100.jpg
    20150623_121100.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry about the photography... here's a clearer pic of Del Raso's boot knife

Attachments

• del cat.jpg
    del cat.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 576

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Well... we went ahead with the design I did above, it came out like so. The Ivory dagger isn't going ahead with that drawing because the customer pulled out. Peter Bald is pretty much happy to trust me with whatever I want to do with that knife, I really want to do it justice. Does anyone like the idea I have drawn on... (i say idea because I know it's not quality artwork that you deserve to be shown)

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I like your work. As far as 'critique' goes, I'm no expert in any particular. Those that strictly(?) follow the 'rules' of scrollwork may not agree with me, but I find a certain 'signature' in your work, as you've posted such from time to time, and that is 'unique' to you. I can't explain it fully, but when your work comes up, it's recognizeable as yours. As time goes on, and your work reappears, lots of people will recognize it as yours, without name attached. I particularly like the Del Raso boot knife, with the trailing wisp of a feather coming out of the bolster and trailing onto the handle. . .a nice touch. Nothing wrong with your work!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Also, I type way too fast. . .have to think, first, and then slow down. Mistakes run rampant, it seems.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i kind of agree with mr. spokovich. your work is always quite acceptable to the eye. i don't give a hoot about the "rules". if something looks great, then it is great ! there are times when the "rule" is broken and such is glaringly obvious. if the rule is broken, and only a select few can see it-- well, has anything been violated ? i think not. jmho

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
I think a little more shading at the tips of your leaves and flowerswould help,otherwise I say their great.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
When I first saw the knife, I immediately saw it almost 3D. Some designs I have to almost section it out to see how it all fits together. Yours is complete and whole as a design. Boat builders have a saying, " what looks right, is". If you think, they deal with all types of angles ,odd spaces and shapes too. Your design certainly looks right. If you shaded your leaf tips I think that would change the whole look. Right now my eye is drawn to the curled leaves and center of the vine to instantly cause me to think"3D" . My only problem with the entire thing is, every time I look ,I see " Bayne" .

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
On the customer's bolster, II think the final scroll should grow out of the center of the second scroll, just as the second scroll grows out of the center of the primary scroll. I believe that the design would flow better that way than having that last scroll pop off the backbone of the second scroll at such a sharp angle as it does in your sketch.

All of your designs are attractive and show original thinking.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I didn't come up with anything better than that design at the time either so here's the finished product. Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your opinions and helpful pointers.

Kind regards

Danae.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably my own biggest problems with my work on this one would be the top three leaves. They don't flow, aren't pointing in the right direction somehow, and you have to be really careful using too many three pointed leaves too close together imho.

Also the way the last two scrolls comes off, does look a little odd. I haven't done much of that and I didn't do a great job, but overall the customer was really happy which is great.