Critique Request First Bulino ? I guess.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
P6140322.jpg P6140329.jpg

Here is my first attempt at Bulino . My biggest worry was getting the eyes and mouths right. I started from right to left and the quality shows it. The girl on the right was looking up and biting her lip. I'm please with the girl on the right exept the shading around her nose and , just look what I did to the poor girls ear ! I'm pretty happy with the girl on the left.
I had a hard time getting a good photo of the work. The camera kept reflecting in the pic. The photo of the plate and the photo of the photo is off so critique gently please . The engraving really looks better in person.
I thought after I was done if I had used different bits other than just a needle point such as a round ball end or flat or chisel to shade with. What do you think ? any tips on the engraving or taking photo's of my work please.
Thanks , Mark

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I wanted to add ,when I was done and had blacked it in I tried to lightly sand it down with some 1200 wet/dry paper. I didn't realize it but when peening that metal down it has to go somewhere and it formed a ridge around the edges of the image . When I sanded it the paper skipped across that ridge and left an ugly unfinished glow all over the image. I just read today on an old post that sanding a finished image is like eating liver to many engravers. Plus it sanded out a lot of my shading. I didn't know what to do. I finally tried rubbing over an off cut with a fine ,wire toothbrush and it worked GREAT ! So I lightly but aggressively went from side to side with the brush. It got through the ridges and left a nice, clean and fine brushed finish all over the plate .It gets covered with fingerprints easily and I wonder what to do about that now. Is there a finish I can spray on it like maybe polyurethane ?
Thanks for looking , Mark

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
imperfect, perhaps. i think it's a keeper. had i done this, i would stop and not fiddle around with the image. i've never tried bulino. i would guess to correct the problem, you may end up with a bigger problem. i feel the family members of the 2 girls will really love it !

Latest posts

Sponsors