Image Transfer with Silly Putty and Packing Tape Transfer

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Packing Tape Transfer
http://mollylikestodraw.blogspot.com/2009/02/packing-tape-transfer.html
Silly Putty
While Silly Putty can still be used to pick up black newsprint and black-line images off newspapers, the colored inks used in the comics section have changed and you can no longer lift such images and stretch them into funny faces. However, faces printed in black still transfer nicely: And you can still pull the faces into odd shapes: The reason this works is that while the color images use true inks that are absorbed by the paper and adhere to it, print and black-line images are printed with a mixture of oil and lamp black (finely powdered carbon black.) The result is that the black powder that creates the letters and pictures is only mechanically connected to the surface of the paper. When blotted with Silly Putty it comes off.

Any ideas for applying silly putty transfer to hand engraving? Has anyone tried?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i've never used it for transfers, but do have a blue egg of it on hand. i originally got it years ago when i was relief sculpting some EDM electrodes for embossing dies. it was a quick way to check progress by making impressions.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
back in 1979 bc (before computers) i used to do this with small magazine fotos. i'd take the finished image, minus the paper, and place it in the carrier of a foto enlarger. then i would enlarge to fit the buckle or object. i mostly did this with logos.

Latest posts

Sponsors