first project "Kassepipe"

John Eiden

Hello All,

I am very new to engraving but I have a project rifle that I would like to try my hand at. It is called a Norwegian Kassepipe rifle. The barrel starts out square at the breech and turns to octagon at about 1/3 of the barrel length.
I am trusting that the simpler style of engraving will be within my capabilities as a beginner.

Just a couple questions to start with.
What is the best way to cut the long border type of engraving that run the length of the barrel? Is there a tool to do this?

And perhaps someone could recommend a beginners engraving website, book, or CD that would help me get started.

Thank you, John

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
to cut strait lines you need many hours of practice, you can scribe a straight line, but that does not mean you'll be able to cut it, believe it or not cutting a correct straight line is not a new beginner skill. Try cutting a straight border on a practice plate so you can see what I mean.

Use the search funtion, and look in the tips archives all you need is there.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there's much to be learned before taking on such a project. i urge you-- do yer homework first. learn the basic requirements that all engravers should know. then, say a few months later, you could start your project with a bit of confidence. have you even practiced cutting on metal ? can you draw the designs you want to put on your gun ?
goof luck.

John Eiden

My post here was my first step of the homework. The rifle barrel with the correct square to octagon profile has been ordered. I would think that doing the preparation filing and polishing of the barrel once it arrives should take about two months. In the spare time I will be practicing the cutting of metal and finalizing the design. Hopefully I will report back in four or five months with some pictures of the progress. I know from years of experience that the slower I work the better the end results.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Rifle barrels back in that time period were started from an iron skelp, formed around a mandrel and fused / beaten together using borax & heatings. then it was rifled or reamed. the outside contours were draw filed into shape/ octagon to round usually with a "wedding band" transition. then set into the stock. decoration/ engraving would be the last step. "straight" lines are the hardest to execute.the rifle pictured has percussion ignition perhaps converted from flintlock. it could have been manufactured in an arsenal, the "U" shaped markings look like proof marks. :hammer:

Last edited:

John Eiden

Yes, this ones barrel was made about the very late 1600s. About 40 caliber with rifling. Almost all have had their original snap-lock locks changed out with the advancing technology of the day but the barrels were kept because the metal was so good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors